Final 401(k)/(m) amendments

Generally, that is correct. There may be exceptions - 411(d)(6) anti-cutback issues may require an earlier adoption. And, you may have a longer period based on the due date of the employer's tax return for the year beginning in 2006. So, it really depends but in most cases, the last day of the plan year beginning in 2006 is a safe date.

• 2 weeks later...
If I understand correctly, if your 2006 plan year BEGINS July 1, 2006, then you have until June 30, 2007 to adopt the amendment.

In the scenario above would the effective date of the amendment be July 1, 2006 or is it retro to January 1? Or does it matter?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allisonperry

Can anyone point me in the direction of IRS guidance stating that 401(k) plans must be amended to comply with the final regs by the end of the 2006 plan year? I've found the provision stating that the regs are effective for the 2006 plan year but cannot find anything regarding the deadline for the plan document amendment.

Guest BobK

IRS Notice 2005-95 (Section IV) states that plans must be amended for the Final 401(k)/401(m) regulations by the last day of the 2006 Plan Year

Hope this helps

I believe that the deadline for amending to adopt DISCRETIONARY elements of the 401k/401m regs. is the last day of the 2006 plan year, but otherwise the deadline is dependent upon the employer's cycle under the new regime.