Admin and Qualification Issues

Guest pepe100

Guest pepe100

Hello,

I have recently completed my Certified Retirement Counselor desigination from the International Foundation of Retirement Education (InFRE) USA. I am a qualified Superannuation/Retirement researcher in Australia and I am keen to learn more about the ASPPA qualifiactions and where I can obtain them; as I wish to broaden my chances in applying for work in the USA within the retirement industry,

Any information would be much appreciated.

Pepe.

Guest pepe100

I am mainly concerned with having the basic qualifications that are recognised either federally or by most states in USA for an individual to work in the retirement industry. As I understand the majority of work advertised at the base level within the retirement industry is admin based and I though I may need such qualifications to make a break in the industry. I am unsure now if my current USA qualifaction as a Cert. Retirement Counselor (CRC) will be sufficient even to work at base level? Initially I studied the CRC purely for my current role as a researcher here in Perth, Australia. Since then I have deveoped an interest in the USA industry and would like to persue employment in USA. Just by looking at Benefit Links' employment list I have yet to find a vacancy that recognises the CRC designation.

My concern is, if I commit myself to studying for these ASPPA qualifications I may still find myself struggling to secure an employer sponsor. As I would rather be employed in USA first and then commit myself to continued education.

Anyway thank you kindly for the website reference. I am sure bound to look it up. If you or anyone else have any suggestions , I will be much grateful to hear your comments.

Best regards

Pepe.

pepevallelonga@bigpond.com

Pepe, the most interesting aspect of the US Retirement industry is that almost everyone in the industry got there by accident! They did not search out employment in this industry, they just sort of happened upon it.

Once they decided they liked it, they then studied for and sat for the various exams to earn their qualifications. So although you may see certain designations requested in the job listings, they are not hard and fast requirements. Also the US is so darn parochial, they have NO IDEA what a CRC is or what topics you mastered to receive the designation.

So come on in! The water is fine.