Trust Assets

There is plenty of evidence that the assets were clearly intended to be plan assets. What are the chances that the IRS will take that position? It does not seem likely that the IRS would force us to treat it as a distribution when these have been treated as plan assets for many years.

The chances that the IRS will take that position are 100% if assets are titled in the name of the plan sponsor my friend. They have no choice. That is what happened. But . . . I am sure that your intent will save the day on audit.

Look, legally, all 5500s are wrong, all participant statements are wrong, corporate deductions are wrong, etc. Were any of those assets paid for with salary reduction? That is not pretty.

BTW, the DOL would enforce the plan asset and trust requirements, not theIRS.

The chances that the IRS will take that position are 100% if assets are titled in the name of the plan sponsor my friend. They have no choice.

It is difficult to talk in absolutes, but in my personal experience (only two audit situations) the IRS has taken that position 0% of the time. (Although when talking to clients, I point out the same concerns namealreadyinuse has raised.)

...but then again, What Do I Know?