Cash in Lieu of Benefits

Guest laborlawyer

Guest laborlawyer

A CBA provides for a Taft-Hartley health fund and monthly deductions by the employer to fund the plan. The CBA also has a provision that allows for an employee to opt out and receive some cash from the employer if the employee can demonstrate that he/she is covered by another plan. The Plan itself does not mention the opt-out rights. Is there a cause of action under ERISA against an employer who has stopped paying the opt out cash? I see this is an issue in Cafeterial plans, but what about Taft-Hartley health plans?

thanks.

Does it matter that cafeteria plans are not subject to ERISA? Are you suggesting that the CBA provides supplemetal terms to the health plan, and it is a matter of eligibility and participation terms that are violated? Seems like you still have to connect a few dots before you get to the money part..

Guest Gompers

I would think you would be looking at just and ordinary LMRA 301 claim. If this is just an ordinary self-funded Taft Hartley welfare plan with no cafeteria plan "overlay" you would not be seeking benefits from a "plan" but rather cash from the employer in lieu of the benefits.

Where I would be worried here is whether everyone who is actually receiving health benefits (as opposed to the cash) has a taxable event because of the choice of receiving cash or a non-taxable benefit. Generally, in order to receive the benefit on a non-taxable basis such an election must be made therough a cafeteria plan.