Second Edition of Governmental Plans Answer Book Published, November 22, 2006

Carol V. Calhoun

The all new edition of the Governmental Plans Answer Book has now been released!

This book takes the reader step by step through the various laws that govern such plans. For those practitioners with private plan experience who wish to work with governmental plans, it compares the regulation of the two types of plans. The authors' systematic answers to hundreds of questions will provide an invaluable reference for investment advisors, plan administrators, attorneys, actuaries, and accountants. It will also serve those institutions that promote, market, service, or provide technical support to retirement plans, products, and related services.

Highlights of the Second Edition

The Second Edition of the Governmental Plans Answer Book (November 22, 2006) gives subscribers the most relevant, current, and practice-oriented answers to the issues faced daily by plan administrators, attorneys, actuaries, consultants, accountants, and other pension professionals as they navigate the requirements and procedures involved in administering their plans. The Second Edition has been revised to include the most up-to-date developments in the area.

New features include:

• Pension Protection Act of 2006 provisions affecting governmental plans.
  • All new surveys of practices of state retirement systems.
  • New staggered cycle for requesting IRS determination letters on qualified plans.
  • Automatic rollover requirements in the absence of a participant election.
  • New regulations under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act ("USERRA").
  • New requirements for annuities involving cost-of-living changes or other payments that vary over time.
  • New flexibility to allow for terminations of tax-sheltered annuity or custodial account (403(b)) plans.
  • Options for governmental plans that have not been timely amended for legislative changes.

For more information on this book, written by Carol V. Calhoun, Cynthia L. Moore, Keith Brainard, you can use the following links:

Employee benefits legal resource site

The opinions of my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent my law firm's position, strategies, or opinions. The contents of my postings are offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. A visit to this board or an exchange of information through this board does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult directly with an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation. I am not your lawyer under any circumstances.