Allowable expense under a health fsa

Guest Nini

We have a question from a participant regarding installation of a running board for a SUV (due to other medical issues, SUV was suggested by doctor).

Husband has broken two bones above ankle and doctor has recommended a running board to make it easier for him to get into vehicle.

The cost of the running board and installation is approximately $525 - should this be a permiited reimbursable expense under a health fsa?

We have already obtained a note of medical necessity from the doctor and the blue book price of the SUV ($32,000).

Any thoughts are appreciated - thanks.

It is our understanding that the SUV was initially suggested due to degenerative disc disease and arthritis - running board now suggested due to ankle injury.

You will have a very difficult time justifying either expense. There is a significant difference between medical necessity and convienence. Your statement seemed to answer the question when you stated that both the SUV and running board were "suggested" to the patient/enrollee. Unless there is something else to this, I would not suggest it is not an eligible expense.

My understanding is you can claim costs of hand controls or other such modifications in order for the disabled/sick person can operate the vehicle.

Second - you can't include an item that is ordinarily used for personal unless it prevents or alleviate physical or mental illness.

Seems odd that the doctor would suggest something high off the ground like an SUV. Person with that sort of ailment would have harder time getting in and out - seems to me that a mini van would be more appropriate.

Note for full disclosure - am five foot tall and drive 4WD Explorer.

JanetM CPA, MBA