Massachusetts Cafeteria Plan -- ERISA preemption

elmobob14

As you probably know, there are compelling arguments to be made that the Mass cafeteria plan requirement is preempted by ERISA.

How are your clients reacting to this ambiguity? Are most taking a wait-and-see approach, hoping for preemption, or are they complying with the Mass requirements pending ERISA litigation?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WelfareBoy

A cafeteria plan is not an ERISA plan, it's just a funding mechanism for the benefits. There should not be an argument for ERISA preemption. Mass is not telling employers how to run their group health plans, just penalizing them if they don't offer coverage and/or their employees use state funded services. Seems fair to me, if you're into that whole Communism thing (we love it in Mass). It's funny though - everyone is so concerned about each others' rights that we forgot about the right to be uninsured!

Perhaps more of a preemption argument could be made with regard to the minimum creditable coverage standards.

At any rate, my clients are all complying with MA Universal Health. It's really not that bad; most of them just need to expand their Section 125 plan and allow employees to purchase insurance through the employer, or another plan/agency (like the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector).

Some, if not most, cafeteria plans are employee welfare plans subject to ERISA, and perhaps group health plans for HIPAA and COBRA purposes. One must thread the needle carefully to avoid the application of these federal laws other than just IRC section 125.

Include a flex account option, and you likely have an ERISA plan.

Make employer contributions available to cover part of the premium costs, you likely have an ERISA plan.

If as part of the cafeteria plan the employer selects the insurance policy or 'endorses' it, you likely have an ERISA plan.

If employees get a break on the premium costs, you likely have an ERISA plan.

John Simmons

johnsimmonslaw@gmail.com

Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.

Guest WelfareBoy

Absolutely true, but the MA cafeteria plan requirement does not require an FSA, employer contributions, or endorsement, though employer contributions are permitted. Also, the policies are individual policies.

I agree that the employer's actions could make the cafeteria plan an ERISA plan, but the way the MA regs are written, they take great pains to avoid employer endorsement or contribution as a requirement.

Also, I do not see how an employer contributing to the plan without endorsing it can make it an ERISA plan. Keep in mind that there are ~44 plans by 7 carriers through the Connector, so while the employer could make a percentage contribution, they are not necessarily endorsing any particular plan.

So in my opinion, the regulations do not require establishment of an ERISA plan (though it is very easy to end up establishing one "by accident").

But I understand that is up for debate, and am interested in alternate views that consider this an ERISA plan.

WelfareBoy:

An additional factor to consider is whether a plan needs to be established, whether ERISA or not.

A plan is a systematic way to pay for expenses, which the MA plan is.

Also, bear in mind that employers in states other than MA will have to comply with the MA law, so the uniform administration is violated.

As far as the law attempting to not endorse plans or require employer contributions, the question will come to what is the form and what is the substance?

Individual policies can be group plans, if 2 or more individuals are covered.

Paying premiums on a policy is a significant factor in whether the employer endorses the plan.

By the way, I just saw that Suffolk Co NY law was preempted.

One thing concerns me about MA, though.

Has there been any court filings to preempt the law?

If not, why not?

Don Levit

“[T]here is no authoritative checklist that can be consulted to determine conclusively if an employer’s obligations rise to the level of an ERISA plan”

“In this cloudy corner of the law, each case must be appraised on its own facts.”

Belanger v Wyman-Gordon Co, 71 F3d 451 (1st Cir 1995).

John Simmons

johnsimmonslaw@gmail.com

Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.

W: why isn't the MA law penalizing employers who do not provide health ins to employees preempted by ERISA as was the MD law mandating health ins coverage by walmart? I dont of of any lawyer who believes that the CA law mandating health ins by employers is not preempted.

Guest WelfareBoy

Don -

Not sure why there haven't been any lawsuits yet. Perhaps because these requirements are ultimately not too burdensome on MA employers. Even some of the employers right on the cusp (those with just over 11 FTE employees) seem to be managing alright, and opening their Section 125 to Connector plans. The one thing I have not seen is a high level of participation in Connector plans by part-time employees, which I'm curious about.

Also, I don't see how this law affects employers in states other than MA. It's supposed to only affect MA employers with 11 or more FTE employees.

mjb -

In line with my points to Don, I think we'll see preemption lawsuits if/when the requirements on employers get to be too much. I think when the Minimum Creditable Coverage regs start taking effect, we'll see some challenges then.

The Maryland law was ham-handed and begging for preemption due to its interference with the employer.

WelfareBoy:

Thanks for providing a heads-up on what is happening in MA.

What I meant to say about employers in other states was pertaining to employers that had employees in 2 or more states, one of which is in MA.

How would the structure and administration of plans be uniform in that situation?

Don Levit

WB: how does the Mass law apply to interstate employers who have a health insurance program that differs from the requirement under MA law. As I understand ERISA state law would be preempted because it would prevent uniform administration of the employer's plan.

Based on prior precedents (Met life V. Mass) state law would not be preempted as it applies to a fully insured plan.

As I understand it, state ins law could impose rules on employers who adopt an insured health plans, e.g. adopt a cafeteria plan for employee contributions even though the state could not impose the same requirements for a self insured plan, if employee contributions are required under the insurance policy.

Good Q. The state law may be preempted to the extent it would impose different conditions from the terms of the employer's plan or it would be permissible to have a different plan in MA, same as other state law provisions such as mandated coverage for cancer detection, length of state after childbirth, etc.

First tell me who regulates a multi state veba? Each state in which employees work? the feds?

If the states can regulat MEWAs as if they are insurance co why cant MA regulate MEWAs under its health care act since state laws are not preempted?

Guest WelfareBoy

mjb & Don:

First off, my apologies for not getting back to this thread earlier.

One question that was posed after my last post was how do these MA requirements affect a plan in multiple states that may not comply with MA law.

With regard to MA Health Reform, there are different sets of requirements that are aimed at employers and insurance carriers.

Insurance:

To the extent that the master policy for a group health insurance product is delivered or issued outside of MA, it would not have to comply with the MA rules. This would include the insurance nondiscrimination requirements under MA law, as well as things like state-mandated insurance benefits. In other words, I don't think we, as Mass. residents, have evolved to the point where we're trying to dictate another state's insurance offerings.

Employers:

As of right now, with regard to the employer requirements, there is no minimum plan design required. However, as of 1/1/09, the minimum creditable coverage ("MCC") standard will be in place, giving an employer the option of providing creditable coverage or paying the $295 PEPY Fair Share Contribution penalty.

As you can see, the MCC standard is aimed at employers and is not an insurance mandate (it'll apply to self-insured plans as well). We'll have to see if this withstands an ERISA challenge.

The MCC standard is eerily reminiscent of the Maryland law that was struck down. However, it should not be nearly as financially burdensome on employers, which might differentiate it enough from the Maryland case. The level of burden on employers might also influence whether it is challenged.

Don - re: your question on a self-funded MEWA in MA versus one covering employers in more than one state, I believe a self-funded MEWA would have to register as an insurance company before doing business in a 2nd state, provided that it's even legal in MA in the first place.

WelfareBoy:

Thanks for the insight into how MA regulates employers and insurers.

I agree that MA should regulate employers located only in MA.

However, for multi-state employers, how could each state regulate the employer, as if it was located only in their particular state?

For example, with mandated benefits being different in each state, how would the structure and administration be uniform, if each state wished to impose its mandated benefits on the multi-state employer?

The degree of the burden on employers is certainly relevant to ERISA preemption.

This has legal precedence to a Supreme Court case in New York involving a hospital tax assessed on insurers, but not assessed on Blue Cross.

However, the tax indirectly affected employers.

Here, the assessment directly affects employers.

Don Levit

I question whether an employer will have enough control to administer a Connector-only cafeteria plan (for part-time employees) in a way that complies with IRC 125. The employer submits to the Connector a list of employees who are eligible for the Connector-only cafeteria plan. Then, the next thing the employer gets is a list of employees who signed up for insurance through the Connector and a bill. The employer does not know what family members are covered (e.g., there could be a same sex spouse or an over-age dependent for whom pre-tax contributions are not permitted). And it looks like an employee would go to the Connector to drop coverage – the employer has no way to control a drop or change. The employer won’t even know an employee has dropped until the next month’s bill arrives without the employee’s name. I just hope the IRS is okay with these arrangements because, to me. it sure doesn’t look like it works. Or, am I missing something about the process???