Sad News

I regret to inform you that Brett Kates, age 51, a frequent contributor to this message board as B2Kates. and someone I knew for 20 years, died Wednesday, August 8. Brett was an accomplished lawyer, practising in the areas of employee benefits, primarily, but also estate planning and asset protection. He was an author of law-oriented books, and for a period of years in the 90s he spoke to accountants and other professional audiences throughout the USA on Form 5500 reporting and other plan administration issues. Brett also had plenty of non-professional interests, most notably his beloved Philadelphia Eagles, to whom (which?) he was devoted in the bad years as well as the good years.

Unfortunately, Brett suffered from serious health problems starting as a very young man. While he had successful heart transplant surgery a couple of years ago, he had his ups and downs since then. For the months preceding his passing he was working and enjoying life with his family while waiting for a kidney transplant opportunity. Nevertheless, Brett and his wife and children and extended family fought through his travails with courage and strength, which was and will always be an inspiration to his wide network of friends.

Yes, that is very sad news.

I found Brett's questions and comments to be very helpful.

He always would reply to my questions, and I learned a lot from him.

We even corresponded offline, as he was willing to continue our discussions through that format as well.

I feel like a part of our team is missing.

Does anyone know of any ERISA-type matters which were on his plate, in which Brett had a particular mission to carry on?

Don Levit

I regret to inform you that Brett Kates, age 51, a frequent contributor to this message board as B2Kates. and someone I knew for 20 years, died Wednesday, August 8. Brett was an accomplished lawyer, practising in the areas of employee benefits, primarily, but also estate planning and asset protection. He was an author of law-oriented books, and for a period of years in the 90s he spoke to accountants and other professional audiences throughout the USA on Form 5500 reporting and other plan administration issues. Brett also had plenty of non-professional interests, most notably his beloved Philadelphia Eagles, to whom (which?) he was devoted in the bad years as well as the good years.

Unfortunately, Brett suffered from serious health problems starting as a very young man. While he had successful heart transplant surgery a couple of years ago, he had his ups and downs since then. For the months preceding his passing he was working and enjoying life with his family while waiting for a kidney transplant opportunity. Nevertheless, Brett and his wife and children and extended family fought through his travails with courage and strength, which was and will always be an inspiration to his wide network of friends.

I am so sorry to hear this. Brett was very helpful to me when I had a question a few months ago - giving me guidance on the phone and offering to stop in when he was travelling from NJ to CT where his daughter recently started college.

Thank you for letting us know.