Balance Forward Payroll Contributions

Guest DeniseD

Guest DeniseD

Our employers, with balance forward accounts, currently send in their 401k contributions in various formats such as spreadsheets, handwritten ledgers or whatever way they choose. Needless to say we feel like we are swimming in paperwork because they continuously come in weekly, semimonthly and monthly. Once the contributions are received we then manually input the figures into Relius.

Is there a way to have the employers send in a standard formatted contribution report via electronically so that the information can be imported into Relius? Manually inputting contributions is very time consuming, results in data entry errors, and the paperwork must be filed into file folders which becomes rather bulky.

I would like to streamline this process with the start of the New Year, and any help from the forum is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Denise Dupuy

for starters:

if you get the info in an excel spreadsheet, one employee per row, you can do just about any type of download.

as an alternative, youcould use the DCM feature (for those that dont have excel). this features creates (for lack of a better term) a mini excel spreadsheet that can be filled in at the client end.

I haven't used that in years, we pretty much do everything with excel downloads.

(If it is a seperate module, I am assuming you are licensed for downloads)

Hi Denise:

You have my sympathies. We are always encouraging our employers to email us an excel sheet that has the following format:

Last name, first name, soc #, Date of Birth, Doh, hours, comp, 401 deferrals, dates of Term

A few thoughts,

our DER (data entry routine) has a pad for DOH because employers too often put rehire date in there. We enter DOH by hand

Also, when we did have a pLan where comp did not include deferrals, we had one more column for secion 125 deferrals

We have a pad for the DOT column and enter those by hand, also.

note in regards to dates:

one of the options when importing dates is to set the import

'replace existing dates with input'. I believe the default is not to replace an existing date, so if a date has been changed it would normally not be replaced, as far as I know.