Jump to content

termination of 401(k)


Guest cngriffin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest cngriffin

Facts: Company A acquired the stock of company B and the two are in a parent-sub relationship (Company A is parent, company B is subsidiary). Both company A and B have their own 401(k) plans.

Question: After the stock acquisition took place, can company B terminate its own 401(k)? Or, would a termination be a sort of "de facto" merger of the two plans?

Follow up questions:

(1) What if company A acquired less than 80% of company B's stock? Does that avoid the required aggregation rules such that company B can now terminate its own plan?

(2) What if company B has an ESOP that owns 30% of company B's stock and company A owns the other 70%. Does the ESOP prevent the application of the required aggregation rules thus allowing company B to terminate the 401(k) without it being a defacto merger of the plans?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Charles Griffin

Raleigh, NC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...