vcp submission without providing plan document

jlea

One of my clients experienced an operational failure in their Simple IRA plan and we've been working through the issue, with an eye to submitting a VCP request. The Simple is a prototype arrangement and they were never given a copy of the Plan document. They have their Adoption Agreement, their SPD, and notices that they diligently distributed per the 408(p) rules. The custodian says they don't have a copy of the Plan document. Obviously, we'll pound the doors on this issue with them - but, worst case, let's say we can't put hands on it. How much of a snag is that likely to be? Anyone had experience with not being able to produce requested documents?

How much extra would it cost to add a document failure to your VCP submission?

John Simmons

johnsimmonslaw@gmail.com

Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.

I guess I can see what you mean about it being a document failure (what a completely appropriate label). But when I review the terms of Rev Proc 06-27, I can't even imagine how the IRS would respond. I mean, this isn't we forgot to do good faith EGTRRA amendments - it's we have an adoption agreement and an SPD but we've never had a copy of the plan document and apparently neither does the Custodian/TPA who sold us the product and administers our plan.

I remain hopeful that, if we go up the chain high enough at the custodian/tpa, we will find someone who can give us a copy of the plan document.

All this for a Simple IRA that will terminate at year's end.

Any thoughts or responses? Thank you in advance!

My experience with this situation is that you will receive a letter asking for the plan document, and if you can't provide it, the submission will be returned. No document = no plan. Since you have the adoption agreement, have you thought about tracking down who wrote the prototype and asking them for a copy of the document.

PB Man,

Is your experience that you could provide an adoption agreement but no prototype, or no document at all?

John Simmons

johnsimmonslaw@gmail.com

Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.

Adoption Agreement was only 4-5 pages long, and took a chance sending it in to the VCP program when I couldn't obtain a copy of the basic plan document from the prior TPA. IRS sent it back. Finally able to obtain a copy of the basic plan document by getting creative and figuring out who actually wrote it, and got a copy from that source.

Guest amycavanaugh

also if you know the provider (either the vendor or the document provider) and it was part of their prototype plan-google search it, there are tons of documents posted to the web. Good luck

Happily, I was able to find someone at the sponsoring institution with whom I could talk function over labels. In so doing, we were able to identify the documents needed (they call the plan doc "Terms and Conditions," which is included in a packet that otherwise contains marketing information).

I'm grateful to have this hurdle crossed before the VCP submission.