Health Plan SPD vs. Plan Document

Guest dhp

With H&W plans, one document has often done double duty as both the governing document and the SPD.

Given the volume of issues that need to be addressed in an H&W plan, however, it is difficult in 2008 to do so and at the same time meet the readability requirement for an SPD. More and more, H&W plans are having the two document structure that pension plans do.

I've not seen one comprehensive listing compiled outside of proprietary, in-house information by document providers. I do suspect that you could find (Google) one, but you'd have to be confident in the source to rely on it rather than culling your own list from the various laws and regulations that might apply.

You might also check this part of BenefitsLink for publications you can purchase on topic. Welfare Plan Admin.

John Simmons

johnsimmonslaw@gmail.com

Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.

• 2 weeks later...

As jsimmons indicated, your best shot (if acting alone) is to get a comprehensive ERISA manual. We use EBIAs ERISA manual. It has a sample Plan Document in the back. And you'll find plenty of information on what is needed in a Plan Document vs. an SPD.