Sign in to follow this  
Andy the Actuary

My Trusted Timex

It's now October 1 but my trusted Timex shows a day of 31. Unfortunately, while it took a lickin' and kept tickin', the stem broke off, so I'll just have to wait until the day the watch shows is back in sync with the actual calendar day. How long will I wait?

Can you provide a simpler route to the answer than just grinding it out on Excel?

Never, all the months will now have 31 days. It will fall behind 7 days each calendar year.

my trusted Timex shows a day of 31

Does that mean you get an extra day to finish AFTAP certifications?

Never, all the months will now have 31 days. It will fall behind 7 days each calendar year.

Days will continue to change from 1 to 31, so tomorrow day will show "1" (when it should be "2")

JanetM is correct, although there is a discrepancy (6 days instead of 7) in leap years.

And yes, tomorrow, you will be the first of many days behind, until the 1 shows up again on the first of a month. No one knows for sure when that will happen (without Excel).

What will you do when the extra hour of daylight is taken away? That one hour may mess things up more than the one day.

Andy,

Save yourself the aggravation and trouble, just go buy a new watch. Or use the clock on computer or cell phone.

Guest Sieve

No, Andy--don't get a new watch! Just let us know when it happens--presumably in 4+ years (at 7 days lost/gained per non-leap year).

Then he will be month behind. In 13.5 years he will have lost enough days to be right for one day once. - figure days lost 7,7,7,6 each leap cycle is 27 days. 365/27=13.5.

the answer to this depends on whether you are Catholic or Protestant, and what country you reside in.

so just wait long enough and they will adjsut things to match your watch. they did it before, they can do it again. dang, I feel for the people who lost their vacation time!

Historical fact:

The Gregorian Calendar

During the Middle Ages, astronomers and mathematicians observed that the calendar year was not completely accurate with matching solar years. Errors in the Julian calendar were noted by church officials and scholars because church holidays did not occur in their appropriate seasons.

In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII (1502–85), who was pope from 1572 to 1585, and his astronomer and mathematician created a new, reformed calendar known as the Gregorian or New Style (N.S.) calendar. It was adopted first in Roman Catholic countries. Protestant countries adopted the calendar during the eighteenth century.

In order to make the calendar adjustment in 1582, ten days were eliminated from October. Thus 4 October 1582 was followed by 15 October 1582.

England and its American colonies did not adopt the reformed Gregorian calendar until 1752. Scotland adopted it earlier, celebrating the New Year on 1 January 1600 and subsequently on January 1st of each year. Interestingly, Alaska did not change from the Julian calendar to the New Style Gregorian calendar until 1867 because, up to that point, it was part of Russia.

In order to make the calendar adjustment, eleven days were dropped from the month of September 1752. An eleven-day adjustment in 1752 was needed because one more day had been lost since the calendar was changed in 1582. The year 1751 began on 25 March and ended on 31 December 1751. The first day of the year was now January 1st and the last day was December 31st—the calendar we use today. Thus, 2 September 1752 was followed by 14 September 1752. In this way, the Julian calendar added one day between 1582 and 1752.

Nice summary. No hanging chads on Mr. Poje's ballot.

Does this mean we now have to adjust to the Andian calendar?

Guest Sieve

I think Treasury wrote those calendar regs.

By the way, Janet, Andy probably just wants to wait around until the date matches the number on his watch--unless his watch has the day of the week, too. And, maybe, also the month. Now, there's a calculation!! Day & date & month. And, isn't your 13.5 not years but cycles of 4 years, i.e. 54 years? (This makes my non-actuarial head spin! My other head stays in place, of course :blink: )

Just patiently wait and see what it shows at the end of October. Who knows how the self adjusting works ?

Larry you are right - that would be cycles not year. Yikes, Andy just get a new watch!

That's more a stretch to expect to be around then, but then again, it is good to have faith even if a leap of faith.

Guest Eric.

Andy, why are you telling everyone your watch stem broke? I know for a fact that you wear a DIGITAL watch!

Okay, not really. I was just looking to contribute "something" to the thread ...

Andy, why are you telling everyone your watch stem broke? I know for a fact that you wear a DIGITAL watch!

Okay, not really. I was just looking to contribute "something" to the thread ...

Wrong: Here is my watch before stem broke off and before it grew a day-counter: http://cid-7da3bb1ef9fa38ae.skydrive.live....nie%20Watch.jpg

post-18727-1222978690_thumb.jpg

Guest Eric.

Wrong: Here is my watch before stem broke off and before it grew a day-counter: http://cid-7da3bb1ef9fa38ae.skydrive.live....nie%20Watch.jpg

Sorry. I stand corrected. I must have been thinking about the one with Betty Boop on the watch-face. My bad.

If date accuracy is an important element of this watch's intrinsic value, you should consider listing it on eBay shortly before the December or July months where the 1 matches up. That gives you five opportunities to maximize the watch's sale price in this century.