The rules of Basketball, in case you didn't know

just when you thought you knew the rules. wow, a novel idea in 1949.

Evolution of the rules of basketball

1895: The free throw line was officially placed 15 feet (4.6 m) from the basket. Before this, many gyms had the line 20 feet (6.1 m) from the basket.

1896: A field goal or basket was changed from counting as three points to two points. Free throws were changed from three points to one point.

1897: Backboards were installed in most arenas.

1901: A dribbler could not shoot the ball and could dribble it only one time, using both hands.

1909: The dribbler was finally permitted to shoot. In addition, the dribble was defined as the "continuous passage of the ball," which made the double-dribble illegal.

1911: Players were now disqualified after committing their fourth personal foul. No coaching at all was allowed during the game, even during timeouts.

1914: The bottom of the net was finally cut open so the ball could fall through.

1915: The college, YMCA, and AAU rules became the same for the first time.

1921: A player was allowed to re-enter the game once. Before that, once a player left he could not return. The backboards were moved 2 feet (610 mm) in from the wall of the court. Before that they were right on the wall and players could climb the padded wall to sink baskets.

1922: Running, or "traveling," with the ball was changed from a foul to a violation. In other words, instead of the other team getting a free throw, the team in violation simply lost the ball.

1924: The player who was fouled had to shoot his own free throws. Prior to that, there was usually one player who shot all his team's free throws.

1929: The charging foul by a dribbler was called for the first time.

1931: The "held ball" could be called when a closely guarded player withheld the ball from play for five seconds. The result was a jump ball. The ball was made smaller, with the maximum circumference reduced from 32 to 31 inches (813 to 787 mm).

1933: The ten-second center or midcourt line was introduced to cut down on stalling. That meant the team with the ball had to advance it over the center line within ten seconds of taking possession.

1934: A player could now leave and re-enter the game twice.

1935: The ball was made smaller once again. The maximum circumference was reduced to between 29 1/2 and 30 1/4 inches (749 and 768 mm).

1936: The three-second rule was introduced. No offensive player could remain in the free throw lane, with or without the ball, for more than three seconds.

1938: The center jump after every basket scored was eliminated. That led to more continuous play.

1940: The backboards were moved from 2 to 4 feet (0.6 to 1.2 m) from the end line to permit more movement under the basket.

1945: Defensive goaltending was banned. Big men could no longer swat the ball away once it started downward toward the basket. Five personal fouls now disqualified a player. An extra foul was not permitted in overtime games. Unlimited substitution of players was finally introduced.

1949: Coaches were finally allowed to speak to players during a timeout.

1954: The NBA adopts the shot clock. A team must attempt a shot within 24 seconds or lose possession. The shot clock is reset when the ball contacts the rim or when the defensive team gains control of the ball.

1957: The free throw lane was increased from 6 feet to 12 feet (1.8 to 3.7 m) wide.

1958: Offensive goaltending was banned. In other words, an offensive player could not tip a team-mate's shot into the basket while the ball was directly above the rim of the basket.

1985-1986: The NCAA adopted the 45-second shot clock.

1993-1994: The NCAA shot clock time was reduced from 45 to 35 seconds.

2001-2002: The NBA reduces the number of seconds for a team to advance the ball past half-court from 10 to 8. Illegal defense was also eliminated.

Dunking was banned, circa 1966? (think Lew Alcindor), then reinstated (I have no idea when).

In college, freshmen were not permitted on the varsity team (timing?) but were permitted beginning in (1974?).

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Shot in the Dark:

I have a word file on my system dated 3/18/05 so I must have tripped across something a few years ago and was absolutely fascinated by it. That doesn't explain how I found it in the first place, but the date puts it at NCAA tourney time, so I must have been looking up something, I will guess something todo with the rules of basketball. I had forgotten about it and inadvertatly noticed it today. It still fascinates me.

JanetM:

What free time? (see note above) In the last couple of weeks I have made at least 5 different types of cookies, and 4 different types of bread to give away to the folks at work. hmmmmmmmm. this year I found a recipe in which you roll the bread dough around provolone cheese and pepperoni.

Tom,

I too pick up trivia like that and find it agin at later date and am still facinated. Guess the stress of trying to pass on 9+ yrs of experience before 12/31 when my job is eliminated has made me a little short tempered. Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug to all.......

BTW I have recipe for garlic chicken (40 large cloves) that would go might fine with you cheese and pepperoni snacks.

JanetM CPA, MBA

this year I found a recipe in which you roll the bread dough around provolone cheese and pepperoni.

Tom, you are always so generous with info you have. Why no post of this recipe?

John Simmons

johnsimmonslaw@gmail.com

Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.

gee whiz, no wonder I never married. I give all my good secrets away.

Pepperoni and Cheese Bread

1 1/4 cups warm (105-115° F.) water

2 packets or teaspoons dry yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon butter or margarine - softened

3 1/4 cups bread flour

27 thin slices provolone

10 ounces pepperoni - chopped

1 egg - beaten [well, ok, I never bothered to brush the loaves with eggs. another trick is to brush the loaves with butter after taking them out of the oven]

Measure the warm water into a warm bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on the water and stir until dissolved. Add the sugar, salt, and butter and three cups of flour and beat until smooth (with the flat beater, if you have a KitchenAid or equivalent). Then add the remaining flour a cup at a time (with the dough hook if you have it) to make a soft dough. Knead it until it's smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes, with the hook or on a lightly floured surface. Place in a buttered bowl and turn to butter the top. Cover it and let it rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Punch the dough down and divide it into three pieces. [i divided the dough into 6 pieces] Roll each out to a 12 in. x 8 in. rectangle. Place 6 pieces (12 if you want) slices of provolone on each rectangle and then scatter 1/3 of the pepperoni on the cheese on it. Roll the rectangle up from the long side (jelly roll-like) and seal the seam. Repeat for each rectangle.

Place the rolls on greased baking sheets (you can fit 2 on one sheet). Cover and let rise until doubled, about another hour. Slash the tops in three or four places and brush the loaves with the beaten eggs.

Bake at 400ºF for 25-30 minutes or until done. Cool slightly and serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers and reheat (around 20 minutes at 300ºF works well) to serve.

hey, I think these are real good.