Which direction is the Football Hall of Fame?

Guest Sieve

This isn't necessarily humorous, but may be interesting to some (I would think) . . .

A building in downtown Detroit (yes . . . there still are some!!), on one of its sides, used to have a painting of Barry Sanders, ex of the Lions (ouch!!), when he was actively running up his record 10-consecutive 1,000+ - yard seasons at the start of a career. In the painting was an arrow, labeled "Canton", pointing away from Canada. Detroit is, and always has been, north of Canton, the home of the Football Hall of Fame. What's wrong with the Barry Sanders painting? (By the way, Virginia, Mr. Sanders was, in fact, elected to the Hall of Fame about 5 years ago.)

I'll bite. Does it point west instead of south?

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Well, let's see. "Away from Canada" would mean the arrow had to be pointing West, right? Since Detroit is surrounded by Canada (Ontario) to the North, South, and East? (Depending upon where you define the geographic center of Detroit, I suppose)

That's my guess...

Oops - I see David beat me too it.

Thanks for biting, David & Belgarath . . . (I owe you . . .)

Partly correct. Actually, Canada is due south of Detroit (&, yes, also east of some Detroit suburbs). Detroit is the only spot in the US where you can pass into Canada by driving south. The Detroit River separating the US & Canada runs east-west at that point, and the bridge and the tunnel to Canada both run north-south. So, to point south, the arrow would have had to point directly towards Canada from a downtown building--pointing away from Canada at that spot is north. (You could look it up on a map, by gum.)

Probably are roads leading south into Canada from Alaska--although Alaska's southern border is not long (about an inch, on my map!!). So, changed quote: 'Detroit is the only spot in the continental US where you can pass into Canada by driving south." Heaven forbid, but you must be a member of the lawyers' union . . .

Isn't Alaska part of the North American continent, and therefore part of the continental U.S.?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know that sometimes the term "continental U.S." is used to exclude Alsaka, but it seems that "contiguous" would be a better term.

And no, I'm not a lawyer.

Heaven forbid, but you must be a member of the lawyers' union . . .

There's a lawyer's union?

AAIIEEE !!

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Changed quote #2: "Detroit is the only spot in Michigan, with a population more than 500,000 (last time I looked), where you can pass into Canada by driving south." I think that one's close to being correct--maybe.

And, really, union's not the right word--it's more of a mutual admiration society (although I suspect that's an oxymoron when it comes to lawyers). You're free to join, if you like, but you have to admire lawyers (without the mutual part) . . .

I'm guessing, though, the wall is flat. So if the arrow is pointing west, the only other alternatives would be for it to point east, up or down. And not to the north or south--which would require an arrow to point 180 degrees out from the mural. So, maybe west was the lesser of the 4 evils.

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

I think you are getting confused on which sign you are talking about.

you are thinking of the sign with Matt Millen and the arrow does indeed point 'south'...er down, which is the direction he took the Lions.

ok, so I'm from Michigan. I refer to them as the Ions because they get the "L" knocked out of them every game.

....and then again, if you go due south from ANY city in ANY state of the United States, you'll eventually reach Canada (via Antartica and beyond).

I'm no attorney, but if you maintained a heading of "due South" wouldn't you become stuck at the South Pole?

That may be appropriate, Sieve.

On his personal profile, Fredman lists his job as "Bounty Hunter" and his interest as "Hunting Jedi".

David -- As an honorary member of the lawyers' union, Fred will be required to add "ambulance chaser" to his job listing (although Bounty Hunter does have a ring about it) . . .

Tom -- Take heart in the Red Wings (and their 3 players from the contiguous/continental US).

Yes, you're right: some can even see Canada from their office . . . :rolleyes:

Are you then watching out to make sure no Canadians enter the country and if they do, do you ask them to leave?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that there are places on the Minnesota Ontario border where you can drive south from Minnesota into Ontario.

You would have to be sure that the lake was well frozen though.