Calculator Choice

Quite a few years ago, I used the HP-17BII.

Several others used a different HP model; I think it was the 12C.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

I love RPN. Once you get used to it, nothing else measures up.

However, with the 17BII, you can choose RPN or "conventional".

Another advantage to the 17B is that it will accept non-integral "n" in a time value of money calculation.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

I'll echo Mr. Rigby's comments about RPN. I've used a HP12C for over 20 years and believe it to be a more logical approach to calculations. Moreover, it only takes about 30 minutes of tinkering with the calculator to get used to the concept.

But, there's another, hidden advantage to the HP12C. When others in the office find that there is no key on it with an equal sign, they quit asking to borrow it. While other calculators I've had seem to have disappeared, I've been using the same HP12C all these years. :lol:

Good luck!

I got used to RPN in college on my HP 28-S (I think that was the #). Now I use the 12c at my job.

I have trouble using a "regular" calculator any more...

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.