Sign in to follow this  
WDIK

Happy Square Root Day

Best wishes to all you math fans on this "square root" day.

We won't celebrate another for over seven years.

I feel a bit like a square root everday, but today especially so. Now I know why.

BTW, is there a day we celebrate Pythagorem's theorem?

guess that explain why 3/14 is PI day

Cosine, secant, tangent, sine,

3 point 1 4 1 5 9

I guess the true PI day would have been

3/14/159

and going further

3/14/1592

(I forget what I was doing that day)

How could I forget! I haven't read it for a while, but I still remember snatches of Vogon poetry:

Ah freddled gruntbuggly, thy micturations are to me..."

Good point.

I'm not sure, but maybe it was:

the sqrt (3 divided by 3 divided by 9) = sqrt (0.11) = 0.33, as in the 3rd day of the 3rd month (to within rounding errors and with some imagination).

Sorry for the confusion. (Don't Panic.)

Yes, Big Bang Theory is entertaining. (given a willing suspension of disbelief).

I believe that many frequent posters here are represented there.

And as long as I'm insulting people here, to J Simmons: PYTHAGOREM???

Careful, RCK.

JSimmons has an acute sense about what is the right angle to take to get to the root of issues on these boards without being obtuse.

Guest rmg

BG5150, You're being too literal! . . . this is a FUN thing, so just go with the flow. The square root of 9 is 3 y'know, so have fun even if the way we write the dates doesn't quite make it a "perfect" square root day. And for those of us who work with or are related to teachers, we see that for them it's a fun way to get the kids who aren't into numbers excited for once. One of my friends made a whole "square" dinner -- lasagna with each piece cut into a square, brownies (cut into squares), spinach casserole (again, cut into a square). (And for all the actuaries around HERE, it's a day where their obsession with numbers is okay LOL)

Who's going to put Mole Day down on their calendar to remind us when it comes around (October 23 -- commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 10^23), which is a basic measuring unit (a mole) in chemistry)?

Here in BoSox heaven, Mole Day is sometime in April when the snow finally melts, and you see that your lawn has been destroyed (yet again) by the little devils...

Personally, I prefer to refer to it as "Avocado's number" and celebrate the day by consuming avocado stuffed with crab or lobster salad.