ERPA EXAM

Did anyone take the ERPA exam during the winter session, if so...have you received your score yet?

AIRE stated that the scores would come in the mail by 4/30.

I was just curious to see if anyone has received their scores yet. We took the test toward the end of the winter session so I'm assuming we will have to wait until the end of April to get our scores!

Did anyone take the ERPA exam during the winter session, if so...have you received your score yet?

AIRE stated that the scores would come in the mail by 4/30.

I was just curious to see if anyone has received their scores yet. We took the test toward the end of the winter session so I'm assuming we will have to wait until the end of April to get our scores!

Not yet!

I thought they said "after" 4/30.

I was told, I think at the end of the exam, that they were going to grade them all at the same time and (essentially) curve the grades. Everyone will get their results at the same time.

Ed Snyder

The website says by April 30.

The IRS Spring Employee Plans Newsletter has some information on the test cycle.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/spr09.pdf

The first ERPA-Special Enrollment Examination (SEE) was conducted earlier this year. How did it go?

The first examination period was a success! Over 500 examinations were completed nationwide. We also received about 450 responses from a survey applicants completed after the test. Their feedback is helping us to improve the ERPA examination process and address applicants’ concerns.

So, based on the demographics identified in the survey, who exactly is a potential ERPA?

The majority of applicants identified themselves as plan administrators or plan consultants with more than 20 years of experience. 71% of applicants stated their primary motivation for taking the ERPA-SEE was to represent clients before the IRS, while 16% took it to increase their pension knowledge. About half of the applicants indicated that they spent 40 hours or less studying for the examination.

Any statistics obtained about the test?

Overall, 41% of the applicants noted that the test was of average difficulty. Another 41% thought the test was a little more difficult. The examination consists of two parts. The average time to take each part was about two to two and one-half hours.

What comments did you receive about the examination itself?

We received feedback about the wording of some of the questions and on test study materials. We will be reviewing all of the comments received and making adjustments to improve the process for future ERPA applicants. We will continue this review after every testing period.

• 4 weeks later...