PBGC Guarantees

PJ2009

An employee is a participant in both a single employer DB plan and a multiemployer plan. Both are PBGC insured. Unlikely scenario, but he wants to know if both plans should terminate, would the PBGC pay full guaranteed benefits under each plan or "carve out" some or all of the benefits? I would think the plans would be treated as completely separate, subject to their own PBGC maximum benefits, but wanted to run it by somebody. I couldn't find any guidance on point.

Thank you!

Thank you.

pj

• 2 weeks later...
An employee is a participant in both a single employer DB plan and a multiemployer plan. Both are PBGC insured. Unlikely scenario, but he wants to know if both plans should terminate, would the PBGC pay full guaranteed benefits under each plan or "carve out" some or all of the benefits? I would think the plans would be treated as completely separate, subject to their own PBGC maximum benefits, but wanted to run it by somebody. I couldn't find any guidance on point.

Thank you!

I will go out on a limb and "guess" that the two plans would be treated separately for purposes of implementing the PBGC maximum insured benefit.

Does anybody agree? Disagree?

Thank you all.

Thank you.

pj