Late 1099-R

I am preparing a 1099-R for 2008, which was inadvertently overlooked.

Questions:

1. Can we simply "type" the form on the form I printed from the IRS website and submit it, or is there a special type of paper I should use which can only be ordered from the IRS? As you can tell, this is my first venture into reporting land in awhile.

2. Should we simply file it as if it were not late and wait for any repercussions from the IRS, or is there a "late" procedure I need to be following?

Thank you, and Happy Rosh Hashanah to Jewish users.

Thank you.

pj

Doesn't the form you downloaded have a warning that is for informational purposes only and that you shouldn't use it? (On page 1, the very first thing you see, with the word "Attention" in red? :D )

There's a phone number and link to order paper forms on that page too; I think that's the proper procedure.

I think you just file it and let them assess the late penalties.

Ed Snyder

Doesn't the form you downloaded have a warning that is for informational purposes only and that you shouldn't use it? (On page 1, the very first thing you see, with the word "Attention" in red? :D )

There's a phone number and link to order paper forms on that page too; I think that's the proper procedure.

I think you just file it and let them assess the late penalties.

Duh, there it is "Attention" - it's Friday, folks! Many thanks for your response, which I agree with.

Thank you.

pj

• 1 month later...