Gray Book from Enrolled Actuaries Meeting

Guest L337pwner5

Guest L337pwner5

So the PBGC makes the Blue Book from the annual Enrolled Actuaries Meetings available on its website free of charge. Does the IRS do the same with the Gray Book? If not, is there free online access to the Gray Books anywhere? I suspect that if there were, I would have found it by now, but I thought I'd check with the knowledgeable folks here.

The IRS does not control the Gray Book. It is not written by the IRS. The Gray Book is owned, and copyrighted, by the Enrolled Actuaries Meeting. There is no online access.

This is the relevant copyright notice from the 2009 Gray Book:

Copyright © 2009, Enrolled Actuaries Meeting

All rights reserved by Enrolled Actuaries Meeting. Permission is granted to print or otherwise reproduce a limited number of copies of the material on the CD-ROM for personal, internal, classroom, or other instructional use, on the condition that the foregoing copyright notice is used so as to give reasonable notice of the copyright of the Enrolled Actuaries Meeting. This consent for free limited copying without prior consent of the Enrolled Actuaries Meeting does not extend to making copies for general distribution, for advertising or promotional purposes, for inclusion in new collective works, or for sale or resale.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Graybooks may be purchased through http://www.enrolledactuaries.org

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Guest L337pwner5

I am clear on the fact that the Gray Book is not written by the IRS. Likewise the Blue Book is not written by the PBGC. The PBGC's website does, however, provide free access to the Blue Book. And the same copyright notice appears in the Blue Book as in the Gray Book. My assumption is that the PBGC makes it a condition of providing access to its employees for Q&A with the Enrolled Actuaries that the Q&A (the Blue Book in that case) be made available on the PBGC website.

I guess I was just hoping that the IRS would attach that kind of condition to the informal Q&As that its employees participate in. Something along the lines of: "We'll let a couple of our employees answer questions from your organization in an informal way, but only if you let us post the written summary of the questions and answers to our website." That appears not to be the case.

I guess I was just hoping that the IRS would attach that kind of condition to the informal Q&As that its employees participate in. Something along the lines of: "We'll let a couple of our employees answer questions from your organization in an informal way, but only if you let us post the written summary of the questions and answers to our website." That appears not to be the case.

Solely my opinion: it may be the opposite.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.