Mistake in dca election

Guest Shebby64

Guest Shebby64

In last years open enrollment I kept the Healthcare TaxSaver account I had already and added a Dependent Care TaxSaver account. I thought the DCA was for medical reimbursement for my domestic partner. We dont have nor have we ever had children. I realized my mistake in Aug 09 after my partner had surgery. I called and was told I had to write a letter to my employer. I did so and my request was denied. I wrote another letter of appeal. I have an open case but am trying to get together as much information as I can together for when I get the letter saying the appeal was denied. I have read 125 and 129 and cant find much in the way of how I can get the funds moved from the dependent care account to the health account. That is all I really want. I will send in for reimbursement for these funds as I have before. Is there anywhere I can go to find more info to send my employer. This is the best site I have found so far.

Thanks

I, too, if asked, would advise your employer not to permit you to move money from the DCA account to the medical account. However, under the circumstances I think your employer should be aable to get comfortable with the idea of refunding the money you deposited to the DCA account. Try again, explaining that you never had any children who would have needed daily care so it was obviously a mistake and you were not eligible for DCA benefits in the first place.

Guest Shebby64
I, too, if asked, would advise your employer not to permit you to move money from the DCA account to the medical account. However, under the circumstances I think your employer should be aable to get comfortable with the idea of refunding the money you deposited to the DCA account. Try again, explaining that you never had any children who would have needed daily care so it was obviously a mistake and you were not eligible for DCA benefits in the first place.

Thanks for the advice. I will try.