Work Comp -to- State Disibility

Guest Sandi T

Guest Sandi T

BACKGROUND: I am a California employee - I have a work injury (shoulder), dating back to October, 2007, which was accepted/covered by Work Comp, for future medical/surgery. I returned to work initially, trying to work with the injury, when the pain came back with a vengence on 9/9/09, and I have been off work, waiting for surgery ever since. No, I did NOT take any additional time off for this injury other than the initial week after the injury until 9/9/09. The doctor, MRI, CT Scan, and all tests and documents have proven I need surgery to fix this problem.

PROBLEM: This is at the end of the initial 2-year coverage from Work Comp, when my time off work would be covered/compensated by Work Comp, so I need to transition to State Disibility to compensate for my time off while I wait for all the 'red-tape' to be processed for the surgery.

First Question: Should I back-date my request to State Disibility to 9/9/09, or should I date it for when the Work Comp initial 2-year work-time coverage expired (10/15/09)?

Second Question: How long does it take for the State Disibility benefits to be processed - in other words, when should I expect a check? (assuming all paperwork is in order and approved).

Any answers, suggestions or website link referrals would be GREATLY appreciated!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest arilbrks

I think that dating it at the time of you taking the leave that is 9/9/09 would be a better choice. This would help you have a better response and also be able to back your claims with the absence record at the work place. As far as I think it wouldn't take long for you to receive the check but that would solely depend on how accurate and to the point the paperwork has been done and apart from that the legal obligations present at the place would also play a vital role, though it would be in only some cases.