HSA Coordination of Benefits / Eligibility

Guest RxGuy

Guest RxGuy

I have HSA questions I am hoping people can assist me with:

1) If an employee is actively at work, age 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part A, can they participate in the Employer Sponsored HSA? If so, is the contributions tax qualified?

2) In an employee has and HSA with an Employer Sponsored HDHP, and is covered through their Spouses Traditional HMO type plan, can the employee who is primary with the HSA, still submit to their spouses plan as the secondary payor? Or is the HSA participant precluded from being covered under their spouse's plan?

3) Dependent children who are coved under both parents plan (One spouse with HSA w/ HDHP, one with Traditional HMO), using the birthday rule and the HSA parent is prime, will it coordinate as normal?

I sure hope someone can help me out this!!!

I have HSA questions I am hoping people can assist me with:

1) If an employee is actively at work, age 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part A, can they participate in the Employer Sponsored HSA? If so, is the contributions tax qualified?

2) In an employee has and HSA with an Employer Sponsored HDHP, and is covered through their Spouses Traditional HMO type plan, can the employee who is primary with the HSA, still submit to their spouses plan as the secondary payor? Or is the HSA participant precluded from being covered under their spouse's plan?

3) Dependent children who are coved under both parents plan (One spouse with HSA w/ HDHP, one with Traditional HMO), using the birthday rule and the HSA parent is prime, will it coordinate as normal?

I sure hope someone can help me out this!!!

The US Treasury Dept has a website with lots of good info on HSA's. http://www.treasury.gov/offices/public-affairs/hsa/.

I looked at their FAQ's and found some answers for you :

1) No -

I’m on Medicare, can I have an HSA?

You are not eligible for an HSA after you have enrolled in Medicare. If you had an HSA before you enrolled in Medicare, you can keep it. However, you cannot continue to make contributions to an HSA after you enroll in Medicare.

2) and 3) No

Who is eligible for a Health Savings Account?

To be eligible for a Health Savings Account, an individual must be covered by a HSA-qualified High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and must not be covered by other health insurance that is not an HDHP. Certain types of insurance are not considered “health insurance” (see below) and will not jeopardize your eligibility for an HSA.