Intentional ESOP loan default

Guest Pennysaver

Guest Pennysaver

Can anyone point me towards an authority regarding the treatment of an intentional ESOP loan default as a prohibited transaction?

Thanks!

I don't believe a prohibited transaction occurs when an ESOP Loan defaults.

The loan and pledge agreement should outline the process to follow in the event of a default.

You might also find language in the loan and pledge agreement that state a default can only occur if the company has complied with the covenant of the loan and pledge agreement relating to making cash contributions, dividends, etc. to the ESOP.

Guest Pennysaver
I don't believe a prohibited transaction occurs when an ESOP Loan defaults.

The loan and pledge agreement should outline the process to follow in the event of a default.

You might also find language in the loan and pledge agreement that state a default can only occur if the company has complied with the covenant of the loan and pledge agreement relating to making cash contributions, dividends, etc. to the ESOP.

Fair enough. But if the default occurs intentionally, and benefits the plan sponsor rather than the plan participants, then at the very least isn't it a fiduciary breach? Both for that reason and the fact that it violates an ESOP plan terms?