Can:

1. Yes.

2. All the way.

Likelihood:

1. 50/50

2. 10 pct

I'll be watching.

Dark horse: Japan

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Guest Sieve

Tom -- I do plan to play goal, with the equipment & with a hockey-sized net. Can you spell s-h-u-t-o-u-t?

Winner of US-Ghana plays winner of Uruguay-South Korea, & the survivor plays the survivor of Netherlands-Slovakia and Brazil-Chile. So, veba, you probably figure we get past Ghana & lose to Uruguay. That's my best guess, too (assuming we can handle the free-flowing offense of Ghana).

If in Ghana they legislated a Retirement Equity Act, would it be known as Ghana-REA?

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

In reviewing the brackets, I expect Brazil, Argentina and Portugal to win their brackets. The only bracket the US stands a chance of winning (and making it to the final 4) is the one they're in. Certainly Uruguay has to be the favorite to win it, but our lads have a decent chance.

I note that if Uruguay wins our bracket, and Paraguay knocks of Portugal (or Spain), we could have an all-South American final 4. That would really flabbergast Europe!

I've changed my mind. I don't think Japan is a dark horse.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

I thought Netherlands was good, but not as good as Brazil. Oh, well, wrong again.

The Netherlands will beat Uruguay. Spain beat Paraguay and is a major threat to knock off Germany. A few days ago we were talking about an all-South American final. Could we really have an all-European final? It now looks likely.

Just back from a vacation where I did not turn on a television, radio, read a newspaper, nor access the internet, so all of this is new to me.

I predict the Red Sox will not win the World Cup. Germany seems like the favorite at this point, but I somehow think that Spain will regain their form and end up winning. Why, you ask? I have no idea. But I WOULD like to see Sieve minding the net.

Guest Sieve

I asked FIFA if I could be the US goalie in the Ghana game with a hockey-sized net, but they said No. Spoil sports!!