Where to FedEx Form 5558?

Hi all,

We're planning to Fed Ex a large batch of 5558's to the govt. Should we use the regular Ogden mailing address, or is there a separate one for a private delivery service? What phone number should we fill in on the Fed Ex airbill?

TIA, Scott

Guest Sieve

The Instructions do not list a separate address for private delivery service, so I'd use the mailing address listed--it's not a PO Box, so it should be delivered. For phone #, I have no idea.

1. Is it permissible to file a whole bunch of 5558 forms by putting them all in one envelope?

2. Wouldn't even certified mail be a good deal cheaper than FedEx? Unless you are talking about so many forms that they weigh many ounces.

We have not heard of any problems involving mailed 5558 forms being contested because the IRS disavowed having received them.

The DOL ought to be granting blanket extensions this year anyway!

Always check with your actuary first!

Postal software, such as Stamps.com, adds the steet address to any mail going to the Ogden IRS Service Center:

Internal Revenue Service Center

1160 W. 12th St

Ogden UT 84201

I have sent 5558's and more to the above address for years and so I figure it must be valid. Stamps.com software must conform the address by using the USPS database.

• 2 weeks later...

A recent ASPPA ASAP gave the following address for private delivery of Form 5558:

1973 North Roulon White Boulevard

Ogden, UT, 84404

Not sure where ASAP authors obtained the above. Perhaps direct from the IRS folks? The address I posted above is different in that it is the equivalent of the Service Center mailing address and may not be appropriate for a private delivery service where a hand off to a person and a signature is needed.

Curiously, the USPS conformed database address is as follows:

1973 Rulon White Blvd

Ogden UT 84201-1000

Note that "north" is omitted, and the "Rulon" spelling is different, and the zip code is different. Not sure what to make of this. Perhaps the address is different because the one provided in the ASAP is not recognized as a postal delivery point, but is still valid for a hand off to a person? But what about the different spelling . . . If you try to FedEx to the ASPPA ASAP address using FedEX Ship Manager online, it will change it to the USPS address (unless you uncheck "perform detailed address check").

I would not use Express Mail. Better to just mail it with a August 2 or earlier postmark. My experience with Express Mail is that the delivery guarantee is worthless. I would estimate 4 out of 5 times the delivery is not as promised. Sometimes they disappear for days before being delivered. I acknowledge others may have had better experience with Express Mail but I would only use it for very limited reasons.

My understanding is that the key is when it is mailed (and I would aim for this Friday to be sure no issues arise as to whether it was sent by the applicable deadline) and not when it was received by the IRS. Good idea to get delivery confirmation, but proof of mailing date would be the important thing to have, similar to personal tax payments. Mail it by the deadline and you should be all set.

Always check with your actuary first!

Express Mail guarantee is worthless for sure, but valuable in another sense. My brother usually waits until the last minute before Christmas to ship packages to my kids via Express Mail. Last 3 years in a row delivery was late (but still there by XMas) but as a result shipping became free...

A recent ASPPA ASAP gave the following address for private delivery of Form 5558:

1973 North Roulon White Boulevard

Ogden, UT, 84404

Not sure where ASAP authors obtained the above. Perhaps direct from the IRS folks? The address I posted above is different in that it is the equivalent of the Service Center mailing address and may not be appropriate for a private delivery service where a hand off to a person and a signature is needed.

Curiously, the USPS conformed database address is as follows:

1973 Rulon White Blvd

Ogden UT 84201-1000

Note that "north" is omitted, and the "Rulon" spelling is different, and the zip code is different. Not sure what to make of this. Perhaps the address is different because the one provided in the ASAP is not recognized as a postal delivery point, but is still valid for a hand off to a person? But what about the different spelling . . . If you try to FedEx to the ASPPA ASAP address using FedEX Ship Manager online, it will change it to the USPS address (unless you uncheck "perform detailed address check").

We had problems trying to send it to the ASPPA ASAP address and decided just to send it as we have always done, to the address on the instructions.

"What's in the big salad?"

"Big lettuce, big carrots, tomatoes like volleyballs."