Explanation to the Auditor

You ask why you have to email me separate pdfs of all the attachments when the information is in the audit report pdf you were so gracious to provide.

I agree all of this stuff is contained in the audit report and preparing separate attachments is redundant and causes discomfort when you sit down. My suggestion is to voice your complaints not at me, the lowly messenger, but rather to the DOL, IRS, American Academy of Actuaries and anyone else who couldn't care less about utility, anyone's inconvenience, or client expense, let alone your humble, professional opinion.

Alternatively, you may wish to take a ball-peen hammer and repeatedly strike the middle of your forehead.

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Having a bad day, Andy?

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Having a bad day, Andy?

Au contraire. Every day above the ground is a good day unless you're an onion.

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

You ask why you have to email me separate pdfs of all the attachments when the information is in the audit report pdf you were so gracious to provide.

I agree all of this stuff is contained in the audit report and preparing separate attachments is redundant and causes discomfort when you sit down. My suggestion is to voice your complaints not at me, the lowly messenger, but rather to the DOL, IRS, American Academy of Actuaries and anyone else who couldn't care less about utility, anyone's inconvenience, or client expense, let alone your humble, professional opinion.

Alternatively, you may wish to take a ball-peen hammer and repeatedly strike the middle of your forehead.

You've been talking to some of my clients, haven't you?

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking for the cranky auditors of the world :), and then speaking as a cranky TPA (I do 401(k) audits in my "spare time"), I take the .pdf file that the auditor provides, print the appropriate supplemental schedules from the audit report, make those pages into separate .pdf's, and then happily file my Form 5500 with required attachments. Then the only cranky person is me...

If you have the educational connection, Adobe Acrobat on their website offers a discount off the $475 purchase price for Acrobat Pro 9. The discounted cost -- $119. Then, you can take the PDF from the auditor and break it into little glops, thus avoiding having to scan. Plus, the PDF writer/editor is very valuable for other applications.

Please note I receive $118.50 of each $119 but otherwise have no interest. :rolleyes:

"little glops" - is that a technical term?

I tried looking it up and found

1. A soft soggy mixture, as of food: cafeterias serving nondescript glop.

2. Something, such as a piece of writing, that is judged to be worthless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noun 1. glop - any gummy shapeless matter; usually unpleasant

matter - that which has mass and occupies space; "physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it"

2. glop - writing or music that is excessively sweet and sentimental

Thought glop was shorter and more p.c. than pasture pie.

We use PDF Creator for simple print to PDF stuff. It could be used to print single glops from a big glop. It installs as a printer and you print to it from any application like you would any other printer. You can't edit text in PDFs with it, but it does the job 90% of the time. In addition, it is free and plays with others better than Adobe Pro.

It can be found here.