Method of Statistical Analysis

Many of us senior citizens are well aware of the contention that Yogi Bear "was smarter than the average bear."

A number of questions arise: (1) How was the conclusion drawn? (2) Was a random sample of bears selected and tested? (3) How was Yogi able to break away from his heavy work schedule for meaningless testing? (4) Was his tester another bear? (5) Is the bear Catholic?

Does anyone find this entire exercise unbearable?

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

1. Don't know about you, but I always (at least implicitly) assumed that the conclusion was arrived at on the basis of self-appraisal.

2. As is implied by 1, no sampling was necessary. Now if Ranger Smith had concluded that Yogi was smarter than the average bear...

3. Are you asking if Yogi broke away from his meaningless tasting to do some meaningless testing?

4. No, but I am sure that Boo Boo would have concurred out of loyalty.

5. Can we leave religion out of this?

Always check with your actuary first!

A little research implies this question may be answered (based on comments, the usual really awful Hollywood movie)

"...'Jellystone Park' has been losing business, so greedy 'Mayor Brown' decides to shut it down and sell the land. That means families will no longer be able to experience the natural beauty of the outdoors -- and, even worse, 'Yogi' and 'Boo Boo' will be tossed out of the only home they've ever known. Faced with his biggest challenge ever, Yogi must prove that he really is 'smarter than the average bear' as he and Boo Boo join forces with their old nemesis 'Ranger Smith' to find a way to save the Park from closing forever..."

Dan Aykroyd is the motion capture and voice for Yogi Bear, Justin Timberlake is the motion capture and voice for Boo-Boo Bear, Christine Taylor is the motion capture and voice for 'Cindy Bear', Tom Cavanagh is Ranger Smith, Anna Faris is 'Rachel' T.J. Miller is 'Ranger Jones', Andrew Daly is 'Mayor Brown', Nathan Corddry is 'Chief of Staff' and Dean Knowsley is 'Agent Florimo'.

I let Cleverbot answer all of life's most difficult questions.

Q: Was Yogi Bear smarter than the average bear?

CB: I'd say. I am smarter than you!

Q: How was the conclusion drawn?

CB: I didn't go to Costa Rica!

Q: Was a random sample of bears selected and tested?

CB: I didn't know we were taking turns.

Q: How was Yogi able to break away from his heavy work schedule for meaningless testing?

CB: What do you mean?

Q: Was his tester another bear?

CB: I think his mother is Caucasian, actually.

Q: Is the bear Catholic?

CB: Is the Pope furry?

I always assumed that the conclusion was arrived at on the basis of self-appraisal.

Totally agree. What other method provides such a near perfect level of analysis accuracy?

I guess when you're 7 games behind Cincinnati and with no games against the Rangers (Smith or otherwise), you gotta find something else to talk about, like the bears. I see that the (average?) Bears play the Cards (but not from St. L.) and do not play the St. L. A. Rams during the regular season this year. (very confusing to us senior citizens)

But paws .. er, pause ... and reflect. This is no pic-a-nic, you know, and I sense that we're not out of the woods yet. :D

Maybe Lance knows the answer!

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

What does "being catholic" have to do with this...not a criticism, just confused? Am I missing something?

Nothing. It's just a play on the old saying, "Is the pope catholic?"

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Sorry, but I must be stupid or blind. What does "being catholic" have to do with this...not a criticism, just confused? Am I missing something?

In the arena of commonly asked questions, it is not unusual for parts of such questions to be interchanged.

I believe (but have no data to confirm or deny) that Andy t A meant to ask the other question about a bear. (To which there is photographic proof that the answer is 'yes.')

I guess when you're 7 games behind Cincinnati and with no games against the Rangers (Smith or otherwise), you gotta find something else to talk about, like the bears. I see that the (average?) Bears play the Cards (but not from St. L.) and do not play the St. L. A. Rams during the regular season this year. (very confusing to us senior citizens)

Ah, 1964 when the Cards were 6.5 back with 12 games to play. Well, this isn't '64 and Cads have been fodder for the weakest teams in baseball. Yogi Bear is certainly smarter (or at least more motivated) than the average Cardinal.

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

• 2 weeks later...

You could always come to Pittsburgh - we are on the brink of having the worst road record IN BASEBALL HISTORY! Like my daddy always said, if you are going down, go down in with style.

Regarding the "catholic" bear, I assumed you were using the word for it's actual meaning, to which I ask, is the bear catholic what? Is the bear catholic in agreement that he is smarter? Does the bear catholic care if Yogi was a catholic?

There are all nice conjectures regarding the bear facts. However, what we have is the amalgamation of two questions:

(1) Is the Pope Catholic? and

(2) Does the Bear go you-know-what you-know-where?

Blaspheming the Pope was a no-no. So, the question was posed of the bear.

I remember that when I was young (lo, those many, many years ago) I thought that Yogi Berra had been named after the cartoon. At some point, my parents informed me it was the other way around, and I was crushed.

I had similar thoughts: I thought Martin Luther King was named after a boulevard in St. Louis.