The Big C

We have become fans of Showtime's "The Big C," a dark comedy in which the principal character has terminal cancer. She is a teacher and has not divulged her illness to family or co-workers (she appears to have no friends!). In a recent episode, she cleaned out her 401(k) to go on a shopping spree (she bought a fire engine red Mustang). Having been born toilet trained, it occurred to me that she could not have taken (a non-hardship, and shopping spree wouldn't qualify as hardship) distribution while still employed. I'm glad they gave her the money because the car was beautiful.

If she is a govt-employed teacher, how does she have a 401(k)?

(Yes, I know there are a few such plans, but very few.)

I had made that comment to my spousette but offered that the writers had taken the poetic license of stating 401(k) as 403(b), "tax deferred annuity," or "tax sheltered annuity" were not as commonly known.

How about age 59-1/2? (I don't watch the show, so I don't know how old she is . . .) Or medical expense hardship (she lied?)? Non-deferral dollars (like match)? Poetic license?

How about age 59-1/2? (I don't watch the show, so I don't know how old she is . . .) Or medical expense hardship (she lied?)? Non-deferral dollars (like match)? Poetic license?

(1) In her 40s

(2) Medical hardship? No one knows about her C.

(3) She cleared out her entire 401(k) account, which would include deferrals.

(4) Artistic license, though some of the dialogue is poetry (As a teacher, she told one of her students to remove the stick.)

(5) You should watch more TV. It is good for your soul as well as the ratings.

Was it a convertible? Even living in the Northeast, I still can't imagine why someone would buy a red Mustang hard-top rather than a convertible. But maybe my wife's yearnings for a hot red convertible have prejudiced me against the hard-tops. Those of us in the land of deep snow (especially my wife) are still hoping for a nice, affordable (like a Miata) convertible in FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. Rear wheel drive just doesn't cut it on snowy roads.

Those of us in the land of deep snow (especially my wife) are still hoping for a nice, affordable (like a Miata) convertible in FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. Rear wheel drive just doesn't cut it on snowy roads.

The FIAT Barchetta would have fit the bill, not made anymore, never imported to the US, but there's talk of a spider version of the FIAT 500 which would be FWD, assuming this whole Chrysler/FIAT thing works out.

Barchetta:

S-Fiat-Barchetta-8.jpg