CE Classed Before Enrolled?

So I passed my ERPA Exams (yeah!), and submitted my application. They make it very clear that it will take at least 60 days to process. When you call up to check on the status of your application, the recording tells you that if it has not been 60 days, hang up and call back when 60 days have passed.

For me, my 60 days will happen the week following the ASPPA National Conference (which I am attending).

A while back, I contacted ASPPA, who told me to e-mail OPR to ask if there is any way for me to apply that CE to my ERPA requirements whenever my enrollment card shows up. Three weeks later, OPR responded to me saying "that's a good question, I'll check on it and get back with you........"

I still haven't heard back from them.

Does anyone know if there's any kind of precident for this with other enrolled persons (enrolled agents, enrolled actuaries, etc.)? or am I just out of luck?

So I passed my ERPA Exams (yeah!), and submitted my application. They make it very clear that it will take at least 60 days to process. When you call up to check on the status of your application, the recording tells you that if it has not been 60 days, hang up and call back when 60 days have passed.

For me, my 60 days will happen the week following the ASPPA National Conference (which I am attending).

A while back, I contacted ASPPA, who told me to e-mail OPR to ask if there is any way for me to apply that CE to my ERPA requirements whenever my enrollment card shows up. Three weeks later, OPR responded to me saying "that's a good question, I'll check on it and get back with you........"

I still haven't heard back from them.

Does anyone know if there's any kind of precident for this with other enrolled persons (enrolled agents, enrolled actuaries, etc.)? or am I just out of luck?

OPR has told me that any CE earned prior to my enrollment does NOT count towards what I need for the year. I passed exam #2 in February this year, but did not have my enrollment granted until 5/7/10. Any CE earned after that date counts. I have this in writing from them (email). I think I had 2 CE credits with ASPPA that I wanted to apply that I earned this year and they said no. I think you are SOL.

They also told me that Circular 230 tells you what number of credits you need for the year you get your certification - 2 for each month from the month you are granted the enrollment (including that month). So for me, it was 16, which I have been scrambling to get. The IRS does sponsor phone forums which are free, so check out their newsletter.

QKA, QPA, ERPA

Guest AndyL
Thanks for sharing.

Bummer.....at least now I don't feel so bad about missing an ethics course so I could attend something more useful.

I sent in my ERPA application immediately after I took the 2nd ERPA exam on 1/28/10. On 2/26/10 I participated in an EP Phone Forum. During the first week of March my enrollment card arrived and it had a 2/23/10 issue date on it! I called OPR and they told me that since the EP Phone Forum was on or after the effective date on my card, then it counts for my ERPA CPE.

OPR has told me that any CE earned prior to my enrollment does NOT count towards what I need for the year.

Analogy: for Enrolled Actuaries, no CE credits earned prior to enrollment (look at the date on your certificate) will count.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

There is a write-up from the June 2, 2011 ERPA conference in the News section today that addresses CPE credit in the initial year.

ERPA CPE After Passing Both ERPA-SEE Examinations and Submitting Application. In response to a question from an ERPA, Ms. Hawkins stated that an individual who has passed both of the two ERPA-SEE examinations and submitted a processible application, may count any CPE taken after submitting the processible application and passing the two examinations -- but before the IRS has provided official notice of enrollment status as an ERPA -- as CPE towards the ERPA's enrollment cycle CPE requirements. She added that any time taken by OPR to process the application paperwork, should not be a reason to deny otherwise legitimate CPE credits to someone.

http://www.mhco.com/Library/Articles/2011/...sed_061411.html