Jump to content

Pre-Tax contribuitions to HSA


Recommended Posts

Employee covers spouse under HDHP. Each are over 55 years of age and eligible for catch-up contributions to HSA.

I understand that the spouse can open separate HSA account and deposit his catch up contribution to his account.

Question is:

Can employee defer from her paycheck, on a pre-tax basis, the amount of her spouse's catch up contribution OR

is she only able to defer from her paycheck, on a pre-tax basis, just her catch up amount and he would have to file for his credit on personal income tax return?

Not sure about the limit reported on her W-2 whether she can defer total catch-up of $2,000 (for both) or if only $1,000 can be deferred and they would have to file Form 8889 for $1,000 for her spouse on their personal income tax return.

Appreciate your help with this one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...