$200 withholding rule

For the $200 withholding threshold, does that include all distributions in a year? Or just those eligible for rollover?

For example, a participant's RMD for 2010 is $150. If that person took a $150 RMD in May, and later took a $150 in-service distribution (now eligible for rollover), am I over the $200 mark?

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

For the $200 withholding threshold, does that include all distributions in a year? Or just those eligible for rollover?

For example, a participant's RMD for 2010 is $150. If that person took a $150 RMD in May, and later took a $150 in-service distribution (now eligible for rollover), am I over the $200 mark?

My CCH "US Master Pension Guide" says: In determining whether the $200 floor is reached, all eligible rollover distributions made to a recipient by a plan within one tax year must be aggregated.

I'd say don't aggregate in your example since the MRD is not an eligible rollover distribution.

@GMK - my 2002 guide cites IRS Reg 31.3405©-1 Q&A-14 (I didn't go look it up to see if it mentions "in lieu of" or not)

Kurt Vonnegut: 'To be is to do'-Socrates 'To do is to be'-Jean-Paul Sartre 'Do be do be do'-Frank Sinatra

Hooray for masteff, and thank you.

It does not mention "in lieu of" at all. (Sorry about my giddiness, but I now have the answer to the first BenefitsLink question I posted .. a long time ago.)

BYW, BG, Q & A-14 says that you have aggregate eligible rollover amounts during the year, but it does not mention distributions that are not rollover eligible, which puts me in agreement with masteff's reply.