FT William

Guest CWM

I just signed up; have used a free trial for a few weeks. It's not quite as intuitive as I would like, but I think that could be said of just about all plan admin software. And they are absolutely great about responding to Qs. It's going to take some work to get data moved over but I think it's worth it.

Ed Snyder

I have been using them for about 2 years...

I really like the online process and it works well for me...

The checklist does have edit checks that help and a help menu....

They are really good about answering questions and the response is usually immediate...

I have been thinking about moving to something like Datair since that is the software I use and the only reason would be that both systems can be integrated with duplicating efforts.

I have been using them for about 2 years...

I have been thinking about moving to something like Datair since that is the software I use and the only reason would be that both systems can be integrated with duplicating efforts.

Do I want to understand that?

Ed Snyder

The way it is that right now I have to enter plan specs to create a document at FT William, and I also need to enter the same plan specs in Datair for the daily administration.

The way I understand the sales pitch is that if I decided to use Datair documents that I do not need to enter the plan specs in both locations.

Do I have that right?... I did not look into that in greater detail

• 1 year later...

I would like to start up this topic again. We are currently using Datair for our admin work; use ftwilliam for docs and government forms and Portal. We would definitely look into using the ftwillam admin, except that they don't have DB admin. Are others using the ftwilliam admin for DC plans and using something else for DB plans? If so, what are you using for the DB plans?

Thanks so much for your input!

We use FTW for govt forms and Docs. We use Blaze for annual/quarterly admin (recordkeeping and testing) for both DB and DC. My (old-time) actuaries would never give up Blaze so FTW for my DC work (with my younger staff) would have just been an additional expense. However, I looked into FTW for DC admin anyway if it would make our lives easier. There is a lot to like about it. Aside from web-based (which is the future IMHO), their support is phenomenal and everything will integrate very nicely with your existing Doc work. In the end, FTW would not do one thing I needed so it didn't work out.

I look at our industry as being mostly people from the baby boom and generation X. For these types, Blaze, Datair, etc. is what we are comfortable using and many are resistant to change. However, gen Y is going to want the updated web-based systems like FTW and, although I am seeing a small change in Blaze, it is not anywhere close to what the next gen will be looking for. Simple example: Blaze sends out updates nearly every week to their software which must be applied to every machine that uses it. It is a pain. A web-based system doesn't have that issue.

But my actuaries swear by Blaze for DB and we still find them to be extremely comprehensive (albeit not as user friendly) for DC. Their support is very knowledgeable and friendly but even their support system is archaic. Up until a few years ago, we would receive support answers over fax. Now they e-mail the fax to us but the history of the ticket doesn't show up.

Assuming you won't save any money for leaving Datair for DC, if you are ready to spend extra to use FTW for DC, I recommend you demi their systems. Janice at FTW is so nice and knowledgeable with the admin stuff you will surely get all your questions answered.

PS - I remain concerned that something bad will happen to FTW now that they were bought by WK. I had a bad experience when Accudraft was bought by Thompson. But they have swore to me that they are keeping FTW as it was and so far they have kept that promise.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

ERPA, QPA, QKA

Thank you for your comments - they are helpful! Just curious, you said that FTW "would not do one thing you needed so it didn't work out"....could you elaborate on this?

I can't say I blame your actuaries for wanting to stick with a system that has all of the historical data in it and that they are comfortable with. That's another issue I have been wrestling with - how much would be involved in changing systems and actuaries.

I don't want to put the reason in a public post that will remain a permanent record. They say they are continuously improving the system so it may come. My needs may not be so important to everyone and that is why I recommended you do a full demo and testing on your own.

Historical data is important but I think the comfort is what is holding the actuaries back. And I agree - I don't blame them. The majority of my office is under 40 with just the actuaries and a few others over 50. If Datair, Blaze, etc. don't step up their game, I really wonder if the new generation will stick with them when these younger employees take over and get to make the decisions. FTW seems to see this trend and is addressing it.

ERPA, QPA, QKA

I'll share my major concern - controlled group testing. I've been shopping for testing software lately, and while there's a lot that's appealing about ftw (price, for one), I am concerned that the software "can't handle" controlled groups for testing purposes (per the lady that did my training session). I'm sure the system can be tricked into doing most of the work, but it sounds like there's going to be a certain amount of manual silliness involved in getting the compiled results. I'd love to hear first hand accounts of ftw's handling of controlled group testing from anyone with any experience.

There's another recent thread around here somewhere about ftw, by the way.

• 6 months later...

I found this thread while searching for posts on FT William software and was just wondering if anyone has regretted switching from Relius to FT William. We currently have our adm, docs & 5500 software with Relius and are considering changing it all to FT William. So far we cannot see any negatives to making this change.

For those of you who have made this change, are you glad you did it?

I found this thread while searching for posts on FT William software and was just wondering if anyone has regretted switching from Relius to FT William. We currently have our adm, docs & 5500 software with Relius and are considering changing it all to FT William. So far we cannot see any negatives to making this change.

For those of you who have made this change, are you glad you did it?

So it has been 7 months since my last post.

I think I am one of FTW's biggest fans. As I stated before, I started using them for 5500s when I left Relius in 2009. I liked them so much I started using them for 1099s. Then documents (I used to use Accudraft). And now, just 2 months ago, compliance testing and annual vals (I used to use Blaze) as they updated what I needed for it to work for my needs. Their support is TOP NOTCH. Although I remain concerned that it might get worse now that they were taken over by WK, I have not seen any indication of that to date. They are so helpful and go above and beyond to answer technical questions that are not necessarily software related. Janice is amazing in her patience and fast response in training and helping teach Admin. They have a few JDs on staff too who are so nice and helpful.

Their web interface is not that "prettty" and could be a bit more functional (i.e. switching Plans in admin requires going to the home screen and then selecting client, plan, admin - so 4 clicks) but it is extremely user friendly. They know they can improve and I am sure they will at some point. Having all the software integrated is really nice too so you don't need to duplicate (though you may have that already with Relius).

Their pricing is very competitive and I hope they don't get too greedy after their acquisition.

All I can say is that it is really a pleasure to work with them. I feel that they are my partners, not just a vendor, and they treat me really well. Almost like we are one big happy family. The fact that their "giveaways" at the ASPPA conference weren't that great shouldn't deter you :). They did offer massages though.

If you need any specifics, PM me. So far, as you can tell, we are extremely happy.

ERPA, QPA, QKA

I tried the admin system...I guess it was last year. I have nothing bad to say about Ft. William; they went above and beyond in support, as they always have for Docs and 5500s. In the end, I couldn't stand to lose all of the historical data on Relius (every once in a blue moon, it is nice to pull up a 2001 plan year and look at the details). Nevertheless, I like doing business with them so much that I may give it another shot in the next couple of years.

Ed Snyder

Thanks, Lippy for your comments. I did follow the other recent thread on FTW, but it quickly moved away from the admin system.

By controlled group testing, you mean a CG with more than one DC plan right?

Sorry, I missed this post back in May. Yes, by "controlled group testing" I was referring to a CG with multiple DC plans, needing AB testing, cross-testing, the whole bit. I ended up buying the software anyway and using it to do the testing, and it was fine. It didn't produce a report that said "each plan in the controlled group passes 410(b)," but with a little manual work and playing the system, it's easy enough to get results. Beats testing six companies with 700 employees in Excel.

FWIW, I got an email from FTW recently saying the system does now "handle" controlled group testing. They told me they were working on it when I signed up (guess they weren't just selling). I haven't tried it yet. Overall, I like the software a lot - easy to learn and use, and also easy for someone that knows what they're doing (pension-wise, I mean) to override things and make it do what you want without having to jump through a lot of hoops to trick the system (looking at you, Relius). I'm talking strictly about plan specs, census, testing type stuff here and not transactional admin type stuff (which I haven't tried and don't plan on trying :) ).

Thanks for the responses! Glad to hear the favorable experiences you all have had with FT William. I have not been able to find any reason to stay with Relius so I think we are going to join the FT William family as well. We were also concerned with losing the historical data that we have in Relius but it is my understanding that since we have our own Relius server and don't use the ASP online version we will still be able to access our prior year information in Relius. Can anyone confirm that?

We were also concerned with losing the historical data that we have in Relius but it is my understanding that since we have our own Relius server and don't use the ASP online version we will still be able to access our prior year information in Relius. Can anyone confirm that?

That's correct. But think about it...Windows 8 is here, and no matter how much we all don't like it, we're going to be using it, then 9, 10, etc. You'll probably have to keep an old computer hanging around, and sooner or later it's going to fail. So that's not much of a contingency plan, in the long run. That was a problem for me; you can make your own decisions. (And as I think I noted, I intend to reconsider this in time, so eventually may determine that it's not such a problem.)

Ed Snyder

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tommyknicks
I just signed up; have used a free trial for a few weeks. It's not quite as intuitive as I would like, but I think that could be said of just about all plan admin software. And they are absolutely great about responding to Qs. It's going to take some work to get data moved over but I think it's worth it.

Hi, are you still using FT Williams? My firm has a free trial, we currently use Datair Windows, but the conversion process from transfering a plan to FT Williams is confusing?

• 1 month later...

From my understanding FTW will link the document system and DC admin system so when changes are made to one system, it'll give you the option to change the other without having to re-input all the information again.

We use Datair and right now, as far as I know, this is not possible nor is it on their drawing board to considering making this change in the future. It just seems like FTW is on the cutting edge of technology, while Datair is not. I really appreciate how technology can improve efficiency.

Full Disclosure: I am of the younger generation. BTW, I appreciate everyone's feedback on here because I have been researching FTW and wanted to know what others think of their system.

Making a comment because I can - 30 years ago, our document software and our administration software ran from the same data-base, so we never had a conflict. It was done in Fortran, and we produced documents for DC and DB plans. It amuses me to see newcomers struggling to accomplish what we had back then - without PCs, networking and all t hat jazz. Someday I hope the current vendors can figure out how to do what once was done.