Simple(?) algebra problem

Simple algebra?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. 48÷2(9+3)

Guest IluvNewComp

Parentheses first.

Then exponents.

Then multiplications or divisions from left to right.

Then additions or subtractions from left to right.

(PEMDAS)

(9+3) = 12

2(12) = 24

48 / 24 = 2

Since there is no "x" operator, multiplication is assumed in "2(9+3)

In such case, 48/2(9+3) = 48/2x(9+3)=48/2x12=24x12=288

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Based on the rules in post #2, which are correct, AtA's answer is correct (but there were no votes for 288 yet).

It's Friday. I have a headache. I doubt any of my HS algebra teachers are still alive to verify.... Nonetheless, I voted for "2" then read AtA's application of the "rules" and decided I now have a bigger headache. Bottom line, Mr. Bill Gates says 288 (isn't this why we have Excel in the first place?)

Guest IluvNewComp
Parentheses first.

+

Then exponents.

Then multiplications or divisions from left to right.

Then additions or subtractions from left to right.

(PEMDAS)

(9+3) = 12

2(12) = 24

48 / 24 = 2

I screwed up.

(9+3) = 12

then:

48 / 2 = 24

Then 24(12) or 24 x 12 = 288

My logic was correct, but execution was pee poor. Changing vote.

I screwed up.

(9+3) = 12

then:

48 / 2 = 24

Then 24(12) or 24 x 12 = 288

My logic was correct, but execution was pee poor. Changing vote.

ILuv caught their own mistake; you complete inside the parenthesis first but then then follow the rules for completing outside them. 288 is correct.

And I'd rephrase SMMoran's statement to "It depends on presentation". If components are divided vertically, then that gives you implied parenthesis. But lacking vertical separation, then you take it strictly as shown.

Here's Google's answer: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;aql=&oq=

Kurt Vonnegut: 'To be is to do'-Socrates 'To do is to be'-Jean-Paul Sartre 'Do be do be do'-Frank Sinatra

According to Deep Thought, the answer would be 42.

On a parenthetical note (pun intended) there's a bar in Ottawa named Zaphod Beeblebrox.

The only math award I ever won in high school was the highest percentage of unexcused absences while still graduating...

According to Deep Thought, the answer would be 42.

I vote for Belgarath's answer!!! Don't Panic!!!

Regarding people who answer "2", my aunt, the retired math teacher said: "That's because they were taught (not in my class!!) to write PEMDAS at the top of their papers--to which I'd have to say over and over remember "in the order in which they come" for mult and div as well as add and sub." So there's your official high school math teacher reprimand!

Edit:

This is funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv19iAncrrQ

PS: this is all over the internet today: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+...29&nocalc=1

Kurt Vonnegut: 'To be is to do'-Socrates 'To do is to be'-Jean-Paul Sartre 'Do be do be do'-Frank Sinatra

Pi

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.