Sign in to follow this  
Dave Baker

No further messages seeking book co-authors or contributors, please

Guest VEBAPLAN

Just saw this, why? about 31 of your members have already helped on diff. books that I have done for the AICPA, Wiley and others. It helps them get noticed, helps lots of people with CPE and helps me. What is the problem with this????

Just saw this, why? about 31 of your members have already helped on diff. books that I have done for the AICPA, Wiley and others. It helps them get noticed, helps lots of people with CPE and helps me. What is the problem with this????

It's because members have complained about posts seeking book co-authors or contributors. Such posts recently had been happening over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... in a fairly obvious attempt to bump message threads onto the recently-posted listing, and to see that people get the message over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. It's obnoxious, and it's free advertising rather than being a single appropriate announcement made among peers.

This policy admittedly affects many potential members, but it is a fairly clear way to avoid recurrence of the problem.

Could you propose a more narrowly crafted rule that would address the problem?

Could you propose a more narrowly crafted rule that would address the problem?

Start one (1) thread for people looking for co-authors. Who cares if it stays atop the "New Posts" list? As long as there's only one of them...

Wouldn't that mean that each time it is bumped up, those people on the Board subcription list would get an email?

How about adding a special section devoted to requesting this type of information (kind of like our Humor section??)?

I do not believe users can currently opt out of a particular section but at least it could be easily 'tuned out' if one is not interested.

It still looks like free advertising to me.

But if it's OK with the paying advertisers, I guess a special section works.

What if he "accidentally" or otherwise posts in the wrong section?

What if he "accidentally" or otherwise posts in the wrong section?

Offense 1: warning

Offense 2: 1 week ban

Offense 3: 1 month ban

Offense 4: Permanent ban

Just curious...

What happened to the 'you are no longer welcome on these boards' post?

I kinda understand the search tools, but I can't find that post anymore.

Please do not post messages seeking people to participate as a co-author or contributor to a book.

I don't see anything wrong with the original rule. Advertisements and help wanted requests belong in the advertising sections of the site. The forum is free for us, but not for Dave. It's the advertising that keeps the site going.