Do I have a claim

Guest Misfit99

Guest Misfit99

When I went to work for my employer part of my negotiations was they would pay my full Heath Insurance Costs for my Family.

9 months later they informed me the wouln't pay the family portion anymore and started deducting my family portion. I wouldnt have signed on with them for my salary if it didnt include family insurance. I have informed them I am not happy about this. Can I sue them for the deductions?. I understand this will probably be the end of my employment with them.. :-))))

Guest Sieve

Although your question is really beyond the scope of this Board, I think you will have great difficulty winning a lawsuit (if you filed one) unless you can show that you had an agreement with the employer, written or otherwise, that was unchangeable at the employer's whim. It would depend on state law, but generally employers are unconditionally permitted to make changes in the terms and conditions of employment unless there is a specific agreement with an employee (hopefully in writing and hopefully signed by the employee) that states that specific employment conditions (such as free health care coverage) are not subject to employer change.

Most states use an "at will" theory, which means that your employment is at the will of the employer, who is in control of the employment relationship.

You should chek this out with an attorney familiar with employment law in your state.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have an employment contract? If so, what does it say?

Do you have any evidence of the negotiations to be able to prove what they agreed to?

If so, you have detrimentally relied upon their binding promise. While you may be an "at-will" employee, they cannot fire you for asserting your rights. Your problem will be in proving that they fired you for asserting your rights.

If you have appropriate documentation and are for a game of chicken (or brinkmanship), have your attorney draft a letter to the company stating your case and demanding that they pay your health coverage.