This is a trivial exercise that hit me last night as I was reading an article printed off the internet. I have an 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheet with a 1 1/4 inch border both vertical and horizontal and justified printing.

Question: Approximately what percentage of the paper's area is taken up by the border?

Mathematics yields an answer that in no way agrees with what the eyes see. I was flabberghasted by this result.

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

To clarify, you mean a 1.25" margin on all 4 sides (top/bottom/left/right)? Then I concur w/ 45% wasted on border.

This can be seen in the reverse w/ computer monitors and TV screens. A 22" widescreen has 35% more viewing area than a 19" widescreen; which would seem counterintuitive since it's only a 15% increase in diagonal size.

(My roommate left a 46" tv which is slowly dieing; I'm torn because I really only need a 32" but it's difference in viewing area of 107%. http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi )

Kurt Vonnegut: 'To be is to do'-Socrates 'To do is to be'-Jean-Paul Sartre 'Do be do be do'-Frank Sinatra

I get 45% of the page too, but would never think that just looking at a sheet.

At the risk of admitting my ignorance, how did you calculate that?

"Great thoughts reduced to practice become great acts." William Hazlitt

CPC, QPA, QKA, ERPA, APA

I also get 45%. 8.5" * 11" = 93.5 sq in.

Take away 1.25" each margin = take away 2.5" in height and 2.5" width = 6" * 8.50" = 51 sq in remaining area

93.5-51 = 42.5 sq in lost area.

42.5/93.5 = 45.45% lost

I'm addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn't matter.

I also get 45%. 8.5" * 11" = 93.5 sq in.

Take away 1.25" each margin = take away 2.5" in height and 2.5" width = 6" * 8.50" = 51 sq in remaining area

93.5-51 = 42.5 sq in lost area.

42.5/93.5 = 45.45% lost

Thank you!

"Great thoughts reduced to practice become great acts." William Hazlitt

CPC, QPA, QKA, ERPA, APA