instructions for the 8955-ssa

I find these particularly amusing

Line 9, column ©. Enter each participant’s name exactly

as it appears on the participant’s social security card.

how many are going to comply with it 'exactly'?

also

The time needed to complete and file this form will vary depending on individual circumstances. The estimated average

time is 49 minutes.

If you have comments concerning the accuracy of the time estimate or suggestions for making this form simpler, we would

be happy to hear from you.

hey, drop 'em a line

Yes, and just think how long it took them to re-write those instructions!

Let's see......49 minutes times the number of clients you have to complete - whew, I'm already tired! And, I think the IRS is trying to help out the financially instable US Postal service since we have to mail them to the clients due to the bar codes. Then, either the client mails them to the IRS (hopefully by the deadline), or you have them return it to you in the mail and you in turn mail it to the IRS. :blink:

oh silly me.

the instruction indicate 'previously reported but information is being corrected'

so if someone marries and changes their name, then I guess we are suppose to correct the form to match what is on the soc sec card, because in 30 years when the person turns 65 you wouldn't want the IRS to send out a letter to the wrong 'name' saying you might have $ from a plan.

the irony is that the IRS has no need for this information, except that ERISA states IRS is the conduit to the SSA. If we change the statute to substitute SSA instead of IRS, I wonder if we get the same level of gobbledygook.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.