Transfers Out of TIAA

Anyone tried to transfer a plan out of TIAA? We;re aware of the tiaa-traditional account and the 10 year surrender period, but I was wondering about those plans set up with "RA" contracts, versus GRA contracts. Am I correct that there's really no way to transfer existing RA money because it is a contract with an individual?

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

Anyone tried to transfer a plan out of TIAA? We;re aware of the tiaa-traditional account and the 10 year surrender period, but I was wondering about those plans set up with "RA" contracts, versus GRA contracts. Am I correct that there's really no way to transfer existing RA money because it is a contract with an individual?

Even worse, there is no cash value in an RA contract. Only benefit is an annuity in various forms.

mjb

That doesnt seem possible (even for TIAA :) - you're saying they couldn't for example roll their balance to an IRA?

Under the contract RAs have no cash value. Only a one time option when annuity benefits commence annuity owner can elect a single sum payment of 10% of account balance which can be rolled to an IRA. 100% lump sum is only available as a death benefit if death occurs before benefits are annuitized.

As yogi says you can look it up on the T/C website.

mjb

• 3 years later...