Sign in to follow this  
CLE401kGuy

Paperless Office Solutions

Our office has been using a paperless document storage solution called Edrawer since 2005. The Edrawer people are 'upgrading' their system and the new system just doesn't seem to be a good fit for our office. So the question is, what paperless document storage solutions are other TPA's using that are 'best fit' for a TPA operation. I'm not looking for a system that does workflow. I really want a system that 'acts' just like a regular fileroom with 'drawers' and 'folders' - any suggestions or discussion would be helpful.

We switched over to paperless a few years ago.

We just use Adobe Acrobat Pro. We set up a folder for each client and then sub-folders such as 2010 Admin, Participant Loans, Beneficiary Designations, etc. This tends to work very well as almost all software now allows you to print pdf. And we just scan any outside paper documents that come in.

We've been really happy with Egnyte, a web based file server. The lovely thing is that we can grant clients access to specific folders so it can also be used to collect census data without using e-mail. We've also used it for audits and the DOL folks we've spoken to have reacted very favorably.

I thought I'd resurrect this topic to see if there are any new suggestions? We're thinking of taking the plunge to exactly what OP stated...an electronic file room. Any new suggestions?

check in with Pension Pro - they're adding functionality to make it your office's electronic hub - paperless solution is part of it going forward... we may end up there in the not too distant future

Have you guys found it challenging to review the work of other people? We talk about it, but this is my big dilemma. There is just so much I see flipping from this to that report. Looking for HCE's, comparing lists back and forth, etc. Will I notice on screen that no THM was provided? This is my big struggle. I love technology but I'm concerned that the review process will suffer...

We've been using a system called FileBound. It's quite a bit more expensive than the Edrawer solution we had in place, but a much better system for organizing and retrieval of information. It has some drawbacks as any system will, but they are far outweighed by its strengths.

For the pure TPA, checking out Pension Pro might be the way to go though as I noted above - they have a solid system and awesome customer service - they get to know their customers and take interest in your suggestions - we use it primarily for workflow and contact management at this time though