401(k) Started in year Simple Plan existed

I was just referred into a client that has had a SIMPLE IRA plan for years. They told the broker who "helped them" establish a new Safe Harbor 401(k) Plan effective 1/1/12 that there weren't any plan contributions to the SIMPLE during 2012. It now appears that one employee deferred about $500 and had an accompaying employer match. I know that the SIMPLE needs to be the exclusive plan, but since the new 401(k) has already been established, that is now a moot point.

Question:

Can the employee deferrals with income be returned to the employee and the employer matching contribution with income be returned to the employer?

If the ee/er contributions can be returned, will there be any problem operating the 401(k) Plan normally for the 2012 Plan Year?

Thanks for the help,

Rick

The good news is that the 401(k) is not tainted by the SIMPLE, it's the other way around. I'm not quite sure about how to handle the SIMPLE contributions, but I think I remember seeing something on the IRS website about how to fix. I don't think it's as simple as returning money - the investment company won't let money go out without issuing a 1099-R.

Ed Snyder

According to the IRS website, ee/er contributions can be removed from the SIMPLE with 1099-R's being produced. In as much as the amount of money involved is small, I don't see this as a big deal. I just want to make sure that if the contributions are returned, the SIMPLE plan will not be put at any risk. I know that the 401(k) won't be affected. I read in Sal Tripodi's EOS that there is a risk that the SIMPLE plan could become "invalidated." He didn't go into any detail as to what that exactly means, but, it made me nervous enough to post the question.