ERPA renewal

This is from another person in my office. Anyone know the answer?

Has anyone heard that ERPA’s with SSN ending in 7,8,or 9 have to renew by June 30, 2012? I haven’t gotten anything official from the IRS but I’ve seen comments posted on online groups I belong to. My ERPA card says it expires 9/30/2012 but I think that may be wrong.

Yes, the deadline for the renewal app is June 30, even though expiration is Sept 30. I remember getting a letter last year saying something about a renewal, but I knew that mine was due this year so I ignored it and assumed it was a generic letter to all and that I would get another this year. I didn't, but fortunately something made me think of it and I just renewed online. It's typical government stuff, with confusing and half-complete or inadequate instructions. The AIRE site says to go to the pay.gov site and says something to the effect of "once you pay, you can submit your application online", but it's the other way around. I can't recall all of the issues I had but the whole process was rather frustrating. It made me wonder if it's better to print the paper form and fill it out and mail it with a paper check.

Somewhere in the mass of crap I waded through was a remark that said "you won't be sent a renewal notice." Kinda sucks if you ask me.

Ed Snyder

There is a posting on the ERPA group on Linkedin, IRS "forgot" to send reminders to the ERPAs ending in 7,8 and 9. Renewal is due June 30, 2012. I did it on line. The form is a PITA, but it seems to work, took my money and emailed me a confirmation.

I carry stuff uphill for others who get all the glory.

I just got my enrollment in March of 2012. Do I have to renew already?

Having braved the blizzard, I take a moment to contemplate the meaning of life. Should I really be riding in such cold? Why are my goggles covered with a thin layer of ice? Will this effect coverage testing?

ERPA, QPA, QKA

• 11 months later...

If your social ends in a 4, when the heck is my reporting due? I think it's 4/1/2014, but whoever wrote the instructions for the 8554-EP should really buy into the KISS principle. Why can't they just say "if you're social ends in a 4, your filing is due between 4/1/14 and 6/30/14"?

• Like 2

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

If your social ends in a 4, when the heck is my reporting due? I think it's 4/1/2014, but whoever wrote the instructions for the 8554-EP should really buy into the KISS principle. Why can't they just say "if you're social ends in a 4, your filing is due between 4/1/14 and 6/30/14"?

I think that is the correct date.

William C. Presson, ERPA, APA, QPA, QKA, APR
bill.presson@gmail.com
C 205.994.4070
Connect on LinkedIn

Austin, I'm a "5" so I am in the same boat; and have experienced the same frustration. It appears as if the chart should've been revised from [2008, 2009, 2010] to [2011, 2012, 2013]. This would make the filing between 4/1/2014 and 6/30/2014; which makes sense since my expiration date is 9/30/2014.

CPC, QPA, QKA, TGPC, ERPA

I think I'm convinced (the web page is a bit more clear than the instructions), but it is still annoying as all heck that they just don't put down in simple straight forward terms, if your SS# ends in a 4, you need to renew between 4/1/14 and 6/30/14. It's almost as though they intentionally set out to make it sound more complicated than it really is. It's bazaar, really, when you think about it.

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

Why in the world they don't make it easier yet, and just just say that the 2-year cycles are calendar year, and your first 2-year cycle begins the first day of the calendar year FOLLOWING the year you receive the designation(s) is beyond me. So your deadline would always be 12/31 of whatever year. But, I'm a simple-minded person, so there are probably reasons why this can't be done...