Sign in to follow this  
mwyatt

Oracle VirtualBox

For those of you pondering older pension software that only runs on older versions of Windows (98, XP, DOS etc.) or are struggling with programs that balk at 64 bit versions of Windows 7, there is a solution that doesn't entail physically maintaining some old hardware. Download Oracle VirtualBox (free) and install your older operating systems inside as Virtual Machines. Only recommendation would be to load up on memory, but a heckuva lot easier than trying to coax some older boxes through the next few years. Seems to have done the trick for some older self-written Fortran benefit programs that were balking on Windows 7 (and wouldn't even run on 64 bit versions, even in emulation mode).

That plus you will find that these old OSes run significantly faster on your new hardware.

And hook up that 5 1/4" floppy drive and break out that old copy of "Oregon Trail" you haven't played since 1985.

5 1/4"? Heck, trying to see if I can get an 8" off of ebay.

Seriously, we currently run Relius PC Documents for our document software; Relius in their infinite wisdom hasn't updated this program to run with anything beyond Windows XP and Word 2000! We've been keeping one older box around to run this software.

OK, so I have software that ran fine on XP but doesn't want to seem to run in Windows 7 64 bit, even with compatibility mode or whatever. So if I install this VirtualBox thingy, is the old software just going to load right up, or do I actually need to then install Windows XP?

The Oracle VirtualBox software is a program that creates a "virtual machine" on your computer. Once you install the VB, you can then start creating VMs by installing your operating system of choice inside of the VirtualBox. You'll need to come up with an install disc for the OS you're installing. Somewhat technical in nature but not too hard. If you're comfortable installing OS software isn't too big of a deal. About the only hiccup I ran into (since resolved) is how it handles your network connection; by default it uses "NAT" for the network card; you want to change that to "bridge" and you should see your network.

If you do decide to take the plunge, send me a message if you have any issues. It beats running XP on a legacy box for sure as speed is much better.