July 19 is Flitch day

which left be totally baffled.

Married Couples (not limited to newlyweds, though perhaps an emphasis placed on them) would be given a flitch if the lived in harmony for a year and a day.

A flitch is a side of bacon, hence the expression "taking home the bacon" which according to one site rarely happened. hmmmm.

on the other hand, if you couldn't prove you deserved a flitch, then you were given gammon.

gee whiz, now I had to look that up.

Basically gammon is a raw piece of meat. If it was cooked it is known as ham.

more useless info for you.

Does the year and a day have to be consecutive? Out of my 30-odd (some very odd) years of marriage, I'm certain I could find 366 days of harmony...

Uh, one ought to look at the original marriage plan document to determine the definition of "harmony."

The terms of the marriage document are subject to some interpretation. Her interpretation (obviously the RIGHT interpretation) apparently says that I shall love, worship, honor, obey, grovel, and have no opinion whatsoever unless she first tells me what my opinion is.

The terms of the marriage document are subject to some interpretation. Her interpretation (obviously the RIGHT interpretation) apparently says that I shall love, worship, honor, obey, grovel, and have no opinion whatsoever unless she first tells me what my opinion is.

Mine has the exact same language. Must be a standardized prototype marriage document.

Mine has the exact same language. Must be a standardized prototype marriage document.

And that is as it should be :P

I shall ... have no opinion whatsoever unless she first tells me what my opinion is.

This must be the source of the age old question:

If a man is in the woods alone, and there's no woman around, and he says something,

is he still wrong?

[The answer from about half the people I ask is, "YES!" Men seem to be less certain. :D ]