Sign in to follow this  
Guest ICannotDiscloseMyIdentity

Owner of TPA Firm on a hunt

Guest ICannotDiscloseMyIdentity

The owner of a TPA firm found an anonymous note several months ago that indicated someone knew of the affair being had between the owner and an employee. Both the owner and the employee are married, but not to each other. Both have kids, but not with each other presumably. The note indicated that they would be letting their spouse's know of the affair, or maybe it said it would let their families know - I haven't actually seen the note. Each employee present at the time the note was found was interviewed but nothing could be determined.

A short while later a forceful e-mail was sent out by the owner, rather bully-like in tone. About the same time, one of the most trusted employees was mysteriously "let go" and the e-mail explained it was due to budget reasons, but then they were rehired a few days after that.

The owner claims the note was shown to the police but with no crime, they aren't doing anything.

Since then, the owner claims to have contacted attorneys and now a private investigator. Only guessing here, but probably did this using company money - glad I'm not a shareholder.

The owner now wants to begin the healing and the cure is to fingerprint every employee in the office. Maybe the owner perceives this is a threat to the business, not just as a personal problem.

When the private eye shows up to fingerprint everyone, what do you suggest these folks do? This just doesn't seem like a good idea to line everyone up and print them like criminals.

This incident isn't specific to operating any type of firm. Arguably, it could've easily been a barbershop or gas station. This would limit your approach to areas pertaining to employment laws within the state in which the TPA is operating. I would imagine each state has their own laws pertaining to the rights of the employer (or any conditions of employment). I would familiarize myself with those laws and base my action on those. That's the process. It would be easy to get emotional, but that appears to be what has escalated the issue to this point. No pun intended on 'emotional'; just a reflection of how little the incident has to do with the 'art and skill' of administering retirement plans.

Good Luck!

Sounds like the owner is a wack job, a real life Captain Queeg.

As for what they should do, I agree with Erisatoolkit to a point. Personally, I would tell the idiot to go pound salt in Utah. Additionally, you may want to look for employement elsewhere. Do you really want to work for someone like this?

The question of fingerprinting is a matter of state law. I believe some states prohibit fingerprinting of employees subject to certain exceptions. The underlying question is one of human relations, the answer for which is usually found in honest communication.