Sign in to follow this  
Andy the Actuary

LogMeIn

Any users of this application to remotely access your business PC or Mac?

Obviously, I work with sensitive client data, which includes SSNs, so am particularly concerned about compromising security. It's bad enough that despite antispyware galore, stuff can happen. Adding another portal just seems frightful.

Any experience positive or negative would be appreciated.

Our firm uses it. As a user, I think it is great; much better than Citrix. I can't comment on its security.

I used it several years ago and thought that the service was great. I am not an IT expert, but it was recommended by our IT staff at the time. If you do use this, just make sure that you turn off your monitor at work. Otherwise anyone in the office can walk by and see what you are working on when loggin in remotely.

If you do use this, just make sure that you turn off your monitor at work. Otherwise anyone in the office can walk by and see what you are working on when loggin in remotely.

"Anyone" would be my spousette. I work out of the house.

Thank you!

I just use UltraVNC. Zero cost and does the same things, I think.

Have used LogMeIn (free version) for quite some time. One suggestion is to also install Dropbox (or the like). Remote control is fine, but usually easier to use local programs if possible for word processing etc. In order to avoid the e-mail shuffle of files, I'll create a temp folder for the client under Dropbox on the host computer, drag whatever files I need to use in there, and then work off of that folder in the remote computer. Bonus with the syncing feature is you don't have egg on your face when you get back to the office and realize that you left the edited files on your home computer. Other tip for remote printing is on the Host to print to a PDF printer, again storing output in the Dropbox folder. I know that some will offer remote printing capabilities, but this can be glitchy; the PDF printing option gets around those problems.

Anyone still using UltraVNC or something comparable to Logmein?  We use logmein but their fees have increased quite a bit over the years.

I use Splashtop - allows me to "remote in" using 256 bit encryption.  There is a "personal" version that limits the number of computers and doesn't allow file transfers that is very reasonable and a business version that still seems reasonable and has some added features.

We switched to TeamViewer a few years back and thought it to be better than LogMeIn, but I haven't looked at LogMeIn in quite some time to see whether its features are comparable now.

File transfers are especially easy with TeamViewer.

We like Egnyte for file sharing.