soon to be orphan plan

Santo Gold

Unfortunate situation. A small non-profit ran into major financial problems last year. Everyone was let go. The exec director was the last one left. He was in the process of "turning out the lights" when he passed away earlier this summer. He managed to pay everyone out of the plan except one person.

I've tried everything to contact someone to see who can close this out. No one answers the phone there. A few other numbers I've called result in un-retuned messages or "don't know what you are talking about" replies. The few people I have reached with some knowledge of the matter have nothing to do with it, do not want anything to do with it, and have no idea who I could contact.

They missed their 10/15/2012 5500 deadline as well.

Any ideas on how to proceed are appreciated. I know very little of the DOL orphan plan program. Is that something I could/should initiate? Keep in mind that the 1 individual left in the plan has around $11,000. If this is an orphan plan, will the DOL take any fees out of this individuals account to pay for all remaining plan fees and will those fees be steep? If so, I feel bad for this guy, who would have to have his account decreased simply because he is the last man left.

Thanks

If this is an orphan plan, will the DOL take any fees out of this individuals account to pay for all remaining plan fees and will those fees be steep? If so, I feel bad for this guy, who would have to have his account decreased simply because he is the last man left.

Thanks

What is your relationship to the plan/plan sponsor? Where are the remaining assets and who is the trustee/custodian? The DOL program is certainly an option, but a "qualified termination administrator" would have to be appointed, and there are specific requirements as to who/what can be one. Have you searched for the participant/have any information about the participant?

If this is an orphan plan, will the DOL take any fees out of this individuals account to pay for all remaining plan fees and will those fees be steep? If so, I feel bad for this guy, who would have to have his account decreased simply because he is the last man left.

Thanks

What is your relationship to the plan/plan sponsor? Where are the remaining assets and who is the trustee/custodian? The DOL program is certainly an option, but a "qualified termination administrator" would have to be appointed, and there are specific requirements as to who/what can be one. Have you searched for the participant/have any information about the participant?

Our firm was the TPA. They have a 403(b) plan. Large insurance company has the remaining assets in an individual account for the remaining participant. I know the name of the lone remaining participant and could contact him (I should be able to get his address), but I don't see how he could do anything.

Did the non-profit have legal counsel?

If so, he/she/firm might be willing to assist. If not, perhaps look for some pro bono legal advice?

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.