Studying for CPC

Well, I'm a QPA now. (pauses until applause simmers down)

The next logical step is CPC.

My question is on the modules.

ASPPA has a "deal" on the 4 core modules: $405 for the 4 core modules. The thing is, they "expire" at the end of June.

Any ideas if completing the 4 in that time is feasible? I'm not sure of the depth and breadth of the topics.

For the modules, at least, do I have to LEARN the material? Or is it sufficient to be a competent researcher? And when researching, what's the scope of the questions?

Website says 5-20 hours of study. Is that reasonable?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I'll say this, when you study from a previous module, there won't be a drastic enough change in the next module. However, if recent legislation has passed (i.e. in plan conversion to Roth 401(k) without a distributable event), then you may be expected to demonstrate an understanding of this.

Unlike any other test, the CPC is designed to show how you think. I am not familiar with the recent changes in the design, but I walked away from my test unsure if I answered the questions they were asking. I did very well, but the test was designed to argumentive to ascertain whether you can compentently articulate complex issues.

In looking at some of your previous posts, I don't think you'd have a problem. I know it sounds like a high school coach from a bad movie, but keep the emphasis on being familiar enough to speak as if you're informed on a wider array of topics; and you'd do well. This, of course, would entail going a little beyond the modules (but the modules are definately a good start).

Good Luck!

Well, I'm taking ERPA part II in early February. That'll give me some 4 1/2 months to do all 4.

They are multiple choice so I don't think they would be about articulating complex issues.

Just guessing, as I've never seen the questions.

Lemme make sure I pass ERPA first and then I think I'll be able to finish the modules with 10-15 hours of study time each.