8955-SSA needed?

The instructions for the 8955-SSA say:

The plan administrators of plans, such as governmental plans and non-electing church plans, not subject to the vesting standards of section 203 of ERISA are not required to file this form but may elect to do so.

How can I tell if a gov't plan is subject to ERISA 203? I'd assumed that every plan was until I read this. The section itself doesn't describe who is or isn't subject to it.

No governmental plan is subject to ERISA 203. What this sentence is doing is using "governmental plans and non-electing church plans" as examples of plans not subject to ERISA 203, not saying that some are and some aren't.

Employee benefits legal resource site

The opinions of my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent my law firm's position, strategies, or opinions. The contents of my postings are offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. A visit to this board or an exchange of information through this board does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult directly with an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation. I am not your lawyer under any circumstances.